Single Chip PWM decoders?

Instead of letting the CPU read the values in a tight loop, some microcontrollers can use the DMA + Timer to automatically read a GPIO register into a memory buffer at accurately timed intervals. After reading a few hundred samples, the CPU can process the information in a burst, which should be more efficient than processing 1 bit/interrupt.

I've used this method in a recent project for 8 soft UART receivers, with little CPU overhead.

Reply to
Arlet Ottens

Hmmm... I wonder if the DMA controller is Turing complete?

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I don't think so, but it sometimes has a mind of its own...

Reply to
David Brown