Simple Circuit Request

I'm an absolute beginner at the electroncis groups, so forgive me if this is the wrong group.

I need to control an 120 VAC circuit with a PC. I'd like it to plug into a USB or serial port, and the circuit will be opened or closed based upon a control program running on the PC.

I think this is a simple request. However, when I googled for it, it came up with so many hits that I didn't know where to begin. Neither did I know how to refine the search.

So, I guess what I'm actually asking for is either a product, or search terms.

Thanks.

Reply to
Jeff M

is

Probably best to buy one. Google should find one near where you live...

See "Serial Isolated I/O Module" on this page...

or there are lots of parallel port cards around...

Colin

Reply to
CWatters

is

know

You can use a "solid state relay" It takes a few milliamps input. You can connect them to the various control lines of the serial port with a resistor and diode. Every electronics shop should have them and they come up regularly on eBay

Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton

Check out what X10 devices can do at: