Seeking alternative to MapuSoft OS Changer

Is there anything that comes close, but is not so expensive?

Reply to
Baron Samedi

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 19:19:12 -0800 (PST), Baron Samedi wrote in comp.arch.embedded:

That comes close to WHAT??? Proper usenet usage is to make the body of your message complete without the headers in view. Some newsreaders don't show the subject header while displaying the body.

And as for "MapuSoft OS Changer", I just might -- if I knew what it was. Do you expect readers of this group to use Google or another search engine just to see if they can answer your question?

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

ml

Point taken, regarding headers; I was rushed.

However, life is too short - if you don't know what MapuSoft OS Changer" is, you are unlikely to know of an alternative, so just don't read the post (unless you saw it without a header).

(Look at

if you must know)

Reply to
Baron Samedi

I once wrote a *large* project using VxWorks, but due to some cost issues switched to a royalty free OS. The customers that were already using the VxWorks versions would not change (large agencies with very involved acceptance criteria and change control) so both versions then had to be maintained.

To do this I took what I assume is the common approach and abstracted out all OS services that were being used into a common interface, then generated portVxWorks.c and portOtherOS.c files to implement the common interface for both OSes. Building for either OS was just a case of including the correct portABC.c file in the build.

As I recall this did not take more than a couple of days, it was just an exercise in typing and reading the OS manual. It would take even less if I was already familiar with the new OS.

Just for fun I then added a portDOS.c file too :o) This was a little more tricky.

--
Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org & http://www.FreeRTOS.org/shop
14 official architecture ports, 5000 downloads per month.

+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com
Certified by TÜV as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 00:18:47 -0800 (PST), Baron Samedi wrote in comp.arch.embedded:

Thanks for the link. It is quite interesting.

Sorry, I don't know of anything equivalent.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com
FAQs for
comp.lang.c http://c-faq.com/
comp.lang.c++ http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++
Jack Klein

The OS Abstraction Layer (OSAL) project is a small software library that isolates embedded software from the real time operating system.

Marco

ed

ect

f I

re

Thanks, Richard,

yes, we already have VxWorks code, and only now think about how to unit test on Windows - same case.

The NASA OSAL looks good -

l.php we will probably go with that, although we will have to code some timer handling which they don't have (!) and ringbuffer, which is straightforward enough.

Reply to
Baron Samedi

c.html

Very, very interesting - and I doubt that there _is_ an alternative - but rather expensive.

Reply to
Baron Samedi

Thanks, Marco, I believe we will probably end up going with that. It does have message send/receive, task spawn/kill, mutex and sempahore, but as I mentioned above it is weak on timer handling and doesn't have rinbuffer support. It's still the best that I have found so far, though, for free.

For windows and linux only (no vxworks) there is a games library with a airly decent GPLed OSAL, see

Baron Samedi

ed

ect

f I

re

Wow, Free RTOS *does* look impressive. We are looking to get away from VxWorks, long term. Had thought of an embedded Linux, but still se a lot of overhead. Free RTOS looks lean, mean, well ported and well supported. Great work!

Reply to
Baron Samedi