MSP430 anyone?

Just got the USB version, eZ430-2013 Development tool, but It's not being rocognized by my PCs. Can anyone help? I just emailed TI, and while I wait for reply, thought I'ld ask here. I followed all installation instructions. When I plug it in USB, it's recognized as a MSP-FET430UIF JTAG device, then up pops the Hardware Wizard looking for a driver. I browse to where TI says to, but to no avail.

Reply to
sdeyoreo

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 17:49:33 -0500, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com instead replied:

Are you sure you're not looking for the USB driver for Windows rather than the driver for the JTAG device? Presuming you are using Windows XP, check under the device manager to see if a driver for USB is installed and working properly.

Your motherboard driver CD normally has the required USB port drivers on it. Or, download the latest from the manufacturer. Devices like a mouse usually work fine while the two way communication devices can fail unless the driver is installed.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Did you install the software/driver from the accompanying CD? It's always "just worked" for me.

-- Grant Edwards grante Yow! I KAISER ROLL?! at What good is a Kaiser Roll visi.com without a little COLE SLAW on the SIDE?

Reply to
Grant Edwards

All my USB stuff works fine. TI instructions says it will be seen as a JTAG device and the drivers are in" C\ProgramFiles\IAR Systems\EmbeddedWorkbench\430\drivers\TIUSBFET\XP". in Device manger, it shows as "other devices-MSP-FET430UIF JTAG Tool". All my USB controllers are fine.

Reply to
sdeyoreo

I installed the IAR workbench from the CD. After that, on the C drive, it shows up with a folder...\drivers\TIUSBFET\XP, but Hardware Wizard can't get it.

Reply to
sdeyoreo

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 19:44:19 -0500, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com instead replied:

Well, if you've tried everything and can't be bothered to check for some other basic possibilities because "all my USB controllers are fine" then you should just pitch your device into the rubbish bin and buy another one that works.

Sometimes, when using complex devices, the USB driver for your motherboard really is at fault. Don't take my word for it. Just go on scratching your head and trying other things.

If you can't get any relief that way, you may actually have to install another USB card just for your more complex devices. Others have found that out. USB is not always just plain USB.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Kinda strange tho, 2 desktops at home, one laptop, two desktops at work, all same thing. I suspect me and not the PCs.

Reply to
sdeyoreo

Installing the compiler doesn't install the driver. In the Found new Hardware Wizard you should navigate to that folder and it should Just Work. Under 2000 and XP it Just Works (as long as you are logged in with administrative privileges).

If you are using 32-bit Vista, you will likely have problems, since the driver is unsigned. Google "load unsigned drivers vista", there is a way to do it (though system capabilities might be impaired if you also want to use the computer for "premium" content such as DVDs, etc).

If you are using 64-bit Vista, you are screwed. But if you are using

64-bit Vista, you are used to that already.
Reply to
larwe

Thanks, I'm using XP. I've tried 2 desktops at home, one laptop, 2 desktops at work. None load the drivers. It's gotta be me. Here's what's in C:\Program Files\IAR Systems\Embedded Workbench

4.0\430\drivers\TIUSBFET\WinXP:

umpf3410.i51 umpf5052.i51 umpCompXP.cat umpusbp.cat

430CDC.inf UmpCompXP.inf UmpusbXP.inf UmpusbXP.sys

Am I missing something? When I point Found new Hardware Wizard to that folder, it can't find the driver. By the way IAR Workbench seems to work ok, I can start a new project, add an example file and compile it ok.

Reply to
sdeyoreo

You have one extra file, 430CDC.INF, which I don't have on my hard drive. Download the latest version of IAR Kickstart edition off TI's web site. I've never tried using the version on the CD-ROM; the first ez430s I received advised me to download the latest web version.

Reply to
larwe

I've installed both the CD version and the download version on multiple machines under XP and they always "just worked". I usually use the download version since it's quicker and easier to download a copy than it is to find the CD -- I don't think I have copy installed at the moment (I mainly use mspgcc).

The msp430 mailing list hosted on yahoo.com is a good resource.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I wish I was on a
                                  at               Cincinnati street corner