Reversing USB?

I've a peripheral device that runs Linux with a USB host interface. What I need though, is USB client. From a quick scan of the spec, it appears that the host supplies +V, and has pulldowns on the D+/D- lines, while a client has no +V and a pull up on one of the two D+/D- lines, epending on its speed. Given the fact that there are linux drivers for both client and host, what is the likelyhood that disconnecting the +V and the pulldowns, and adding a pullup plus switching drivers may net me a device that is capable of USB client?

No flamewars about how sucky USB is or how it's going away or whatever-- this isn't for a commercial design, I have this device now, I just would like to make it more useful than it is with its current USB host interface...

--

Sync
Reply to

Pretty much zero unless the USB interface chip is designed specifically for this.

Reply to
larwe

Nope, not usually.

They do make USB data interchange thingies meant to go between two computers.

They also make adapaters from USB to things you can double-ender by swapping some wires, like serial ports or ethernet...

All of these gadgets would require drivers on both your pc and your embedded linux device

Reply to
cs_posting

I could be wrong, it was a while ago that I looked at USB chips, but I seem to remember that there was little difference in the configuration to make the chip a host or slave. The op should try to get the datasheet for the chip used on the device.

Dan

Reply to
Dan N

a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Unfortunatly this will not work : USB host and USB slave devices are 99% different. You have either to use on one side a Linux-based peripheral with an on-board USB slave interface (for example based on a PXA-270 or PXA-255 processor, see

as an example, or use two USB hosts and a "host to host" link cable which is nothing more than two interconnected clients with some buffering (but then you will need to find the drivers too...)

Friendly yours, Robert

Robert Lacoste

About equal to those that exchanging roles between the gas pedal and the driver of a yellow car will leave you with an operational taxicab.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

Interesting-- got some conflicting responses. The question seems to depend on whether or not the driver chips are different between the two or not-- one poster seems to think they may not be-- but the majority seems to think otherwise.

Turns out both sides are right. Phillips, and Mentor graphics (AMI) make a "Dual Role" part which can act as either the host or the device. However, a lot of parts appear to be "host controllers" with no mention of any ability to operate on the device end. There are also "transciever" parts which may leave it up to the host CPU, but I kinda doubt that would be what my device is using. So if 1) my device had one of these dual-role type chips AND there are Linux drivers for it or I feel like writing one-- then perhaps there's a chance, but it's starting to look like the odds are not in favor of it.

Raises another question though-- there do seem to be "bridge" or host-to-host configurations. While it would seem to be *theoretically* possible to construct a intermediary device that will fake the PC end into thinking it is talking to a standard USB drive, the question would then be how complex would the intermediary have to be given the other end could have whatever kind of alternative driver necessary created for it? I'm not talking about using just a special cable and custom software on both ends, but a box in the middle that acts as device for both ends and passes the data through in such a way as at least the PC end of the chain doesn't need special drivers and just sees a standard USB drive...

--
Sync
Reply to

Zero.