Re: Wireless cables replacement technology?

I'm looking for a solution for wireless cable replacement.

What's wrong with WiFi?

Basically I would like to have some wireless technology that > replaces cables from point A to point b-z. I'm thinking about > more than one RS232 cable

Does "I'm thinking about" mean "I need to replace"?

and I'll need to figure out the control mechanism for the > control pins. Anyone have any ideas?

A couple multi-port serial->Ethernet converters and a WiFi link.

I'd be willing to build it myself so any solutions would be of > interest to me.
--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Hand me a pair of
                                  at               leather pants and a CASIO

You didn't say what distance, data rate, but maybe this

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Hi,

Are the only connections you're looking to replace RS232 connections? If you Google for something like wireless RS232 you should be able to find tons of modules that do that. For example, I've worked with these:

- the Wi.232* modules from

- the ZigBee modules from

-

.html

and I've built some myself using ChipCon parts, but that's really only worth the effort if you need features that the existing modules can't provide.

Regards,

-- Hauke D

Reply to
Hauke D

The first question is WHY ?

Is there some moving systems that can not use wire connections ?

Or does the marketing droids think that the wireless connection are "sexy" ?

Sounds multidrop to me.

You should look how RS-485 multidrop networks actually works and then apply this to the wireless networks.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

FWIW, my employer makes serialEthernet boxes that support Linux:

Some of the competitors also support Linux.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Am I SHOPLIFTING?
                                  at

There are lots of options - ZigBee, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, proprietary or custom solutions are all options, they all differ on range, data rate, power requirements, and ease of implementation (software support). I'm still not too clear on your requirements...

What kind of devices are you connecting? Embedded/battery-powered devices or larger ones with a little more available power?

What data rate and range do you need?

What kind of data are you trying to send? Are you only replacing RS232 connections or are there other, maybe custom, comm protocols?

Are you looking for ready-to-go modules in boxes that you just need to hook power+RS232 into, small radio modules that require some MCU work, or would you want to build your own radio+MCU solution?

Regards,

-- Hauke D

Reply to
Hauke D

You might find the Wireless/Modem and Bluetooth sections at sparkfun.com interesting.

Warren Block

Hi,

It sounds like any of the existing RS232-over-wireless products would probably work for you. Some other things to narrow it down would be comm range and cost. Google should show you plenty of options.

Also, you mentioned that you want multiple nodes (B-Z) to communicate with one central point (A), if I understand that correctly? If point A is a PC or other network-capable device, then some of the RS232-to- WiFi products might be interesting for you - for example, the Lantronix WiPort has two serial ports that you can simply telnet into through the WiFi connection.

Otherwise, if these are just embedded devices, then WiFi is probably overkill for your needs, and Bluetooth has a somewhat limited range. That leaves any of the ZigBee or custom protocols, which are just fine for the baud rates you're looking at.

Regards,

-- Hauke D

Reply to
Hauke D