Microchip ICD 1 with USB->serial converter

I have a Microchip ICD 1 in circuit programmer/debugger that I've been using for awhile now. My new computer only has USB ports unfortunately, and the ICD is only serial. I bought one of those Belkin USB -> serial port converters, but MPLAB doesn't seem to recognize the ICD. I've confirmed the correct port and speed settings. Is there something I'm missing? Does the USB->serial converter not handle all the handshaking lines, or ???

I need to get my project going, but really don't want to spend more money on another ICD if the one I have works fine (albeit with a regular serial port it seems)

Thanks!

Ron

Reply to
Ron

"Ron" wrote in news:IFkxc.1041$0A.8347@localhost:

Those converters are "UART-like". I'm not surprised it didn't work. I fear $99 more is in your future to purchase and ICD-2. It's not that bad. BTW, I hope you are running Win2k or WinXP for good USB support.

--
- Mark ->
Mark A. Odell

I have used an ICD1 (and ICD2 in serial mode) with a USB serial adaptor of anonymous origin (picked up at a computer fair) with no problems, so it can work.

Reply to
Andrew

I think you would be better off spending money on the new ICD2 rather than on USB-serial converters. ICD1 won't work under any of the later 6.x versions of MPLAB and in my experience, many of the compilers will only run under the latest MPLABs. I was basically forced to upgrade from an ICD1 to an ICD2, which was very irritating at the time. The ICD2 is a nice bit of kit though and definitely worth the money.

Reply to
Ppelectron