Router help

I know there are some PC gurus in here, perhaps I could prevail upon you to give me a walk through on this.

This is a Dlink DI 804 HV. The other day my Win 98SE box's OS crashed and it did a revert. It has reinstalled all drivers and reports that the network card is working properly. Now I have built PCs, but I know very little about networking. The last time something like this happened I had to put in the address http://192.168.0.1 and put some information in the window, like time zone and so forth.

However that now results in the "Page cannot be displayed", cannot find server. I am on another PC connected to the same router so it is not defective.

Dlink has told me on the phone that they no longer support Win 98, and SBC was equally unhelpful. Last time it worked, I have gone to Dlink's website and got the installation guide. It mentions hitting the reset button. Last time I got walked through this setup process I was told specifically NOT to hit reset. I am a bit leary of doing so, because I can go downstairs and get online, which is what I did today.

As far as upgrading to XP, it is out of the question, not only because of the age of the machine, but because I like 98 and I can and have manipulated it quite a bit. What I have done goes alot farther than changing a few file associations. In time I know I will have to load XP, and I will then learn how to do the same or similar. Other than that I could load Linux, but I just don't have the time to learn it right now.

Should I hit reset and take my chances or what ? I know I have to replace that 98 box soon, but I am looking for something suitable, I am looking for the best PC I can run 98SE on, I'm thinking a high end regular Athlon or P3. I've seen 98 run on PCs of that class and it is fast. But for now, I'd like to get what I got running again.

Any help ?

Thanks for anything, I am lost.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

Make sure you are getting an IP address from the Dlink.

Reply to
Meat Plow

If you can get on the network from the other machine and it is attached to the same router, then I doubt if there is a router configuration issue so it would appear the issue is with the Windows desktop computer.

How is the network Interface configured on the Windows box: Static IP address or DHCP? Do you get a link light and is the I/F at both the router and on the desktop computer that is not working? If not, then check the cables.

If you open a DOS command prompt window and type "ipconfig /all" what do you see? Is the I/F up and active or is the "media disconnected" or the I/F shows as "not enabled"?

Assuming DHCP is enabled on the D-Link router, the config should be DHCP. If there is no DHCP server on the router, then you will need to assign it an address in the Private IP address range of the router's LAN side. You can get an idea of that range by looking at the IP address on the working PC . The default gateway on that other machine will most likely point to the IP address of the router LAN port.

You should be able to get this working again assuming all the components are OK and it just lost sanity. Good luck and post your results.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

The router, like all the other Internet components, is not subject to damage because of your PC crashing. It doesn't need reprogramming, you just need to tell the PC that it should connect through DHCP protocol like all other router users do. As I recall Windows 98, you have to install the Ethernet card's driver, then verify that it shows up (start/settings/control panel/system, select the Device Manager tab, double-click Network Adapters and it should be there). Then make sure all the cables are connected, and check for TCP/IP (which is separate from Ethernet, though most folk think they were always joined at the hip). Start/settings/control panel/network, configuration tab, and you should see TCP/IP. If not, add/protocol... it should be obvious. Click on TCP/IP, select your card, select properties and be sure 'obtain an IP address automatically' is selected.

That should do it.

Reply to
whit3rd

How about going into D-Link's router and check if it can see 2 PCs connected to it through the working PC's explorer logging into the router possibly through the IP 192. 168.0.1 (check the router's manual for I don't own a D-Link).

"Bob Shuman" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:ny4wi.670$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net...

Reply to
Zebra

The routers I've used are 192.168.1.1 which I just tried. 192.168.0.1 went off into LaLa Land.

Dang, I thought I was the last one to dump Win98SE last year on the wife's machine. XP is so much better for handling photos, USB devices and no more of that confounded scandisk garbage. Don't miss THAT. Not to mention files >4 gigs no longer an issue. Yes, HDTV files get BIG.

HTH GG

Reply to
stratus46

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Apparently, the router itself functions properly, so you do not need to (re)configure it. Assuming your hardware is ok (likely as it worked until the OS crashed) the only thing to do is to set the network configuration on your WIN98 machine. So do: Start -> Setting -> Control Panel -> Network

The Network window will show at least three items:

- Client for Microsoft Networks

- The brand and type of your ethernet adapter

- TCP/IP -> that adapter

Select the TCP/IP and hit the "Properties" button. Now you'll have a TCP/IP properties window with seven tabs.

On the IP address tab select "Obtain an IP address automatically" WINS Configuration tab: Disable Gateway tab: Should be empty DNS Configuration tab: Disable Bindings tab: Client for Microsoft Networks should be marked Advanced tab: Property should be none BIOS tab: do nothing

This can be considered the standard setting for home networks, also described in the manual of the DI-804-HV.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter