Re: PROGRAMMER NEEDED

There are no decent PIC programming kits IMO.

Wouter van Ooijen

-- ------------------------------------

PICmicro chips, programmers, consulting

Reply to
Wouter van Ooijen (www.voti.nl

Wouter:

Why is yours as good or better than the Warp13?

Thanks

Quoted: > There are no decent PIC programming kits IMO. Quoted: Quoted:

Quoted: Quoted: Quoted: Wouter van Ooijen Quoted: Quoted: -- ------------------------------------ Quoted:
Quoted: PICmicro chips, programmers, consulting

Reply to
george

I did not say that. I responded to 'there is no decent PIC programmer kit'.

Warp13 Wisp628:

warp is more expensive wisp628 can do only flash PICs warp is intended for ex-circuit programming, has ZIF socket, has (needs) its own power. wisp628 is intended for in-circuit programming, no ZIF, steals power from the target warp is PS+ compatible, can be used from MPLAB wisp628 PC software is open source, can be used on Win, Linux, Mac, OS/2, ....

I think those are enough differences to show why they both exist and have their use.

Wouter van Ooijen

-- ------------------------------------

PICmicro chips, programmers, consulting

Reply to
Wouter van Ooijen (www.voti.nl

Wouter:

You are right. You didn't say that. I appreciate you outlining the difference as they will aid me in making a selection.

Due to my requirements, I may go with the Warp13 but your programmer is an interesting option.

Anyone else have anything to add about a good PIC programming kit or the Warp13?

Thanks

And, thanks to all of the folks who were kind enough to give me some guidance.

Quoted: >Why is yours as good or better than the Warp13? Quoted: Quoted: I did not say that. I responded to 'there is no decent PIC programmer Quoted: kit'. Quoted: Quoted: Warp13 Wisp628: Quoted: Quoted: warp is more expensive Quoted: wisp628 can do only flash PICs Quoted: warp is intended for ex-circuit programming, has ZIF socket, has Quoted: (needs) its own power. Quoted: wisp628 is intended for in-circuit programming, no ZIF, steals power Quoted: from the target Quoted: warp is PS+ compatible, can be used from MPLAB Quoted: wisp628 PC software is open source, can be used on Win, Linux, Mac, Quoted: OS/2, .... Quoted: Quoted: I think those are enough differences to show why they both exist and Quoted: have their use. Quoted: Quoted: Quoted: Wouter van Ooijen Quoted: Quoted: -- ------------------------------------ Quoted:

Quoted: PICmicro chips, programmers, consulting

Reply to
george

Yes I have. The Warp 13 product works well, however the support from Newfound Electronics (the makers) is terrible. If you buy one I cannot suggest strongly enough that you buy from Dontronics rather than direct from Newfound - if you do have problems Don will do more than his level best to sort then out. Also ensure the Wapr software does not have any "protection" scheme in place, certainly one version did and it caused me no end of trouble.

Mike Harding

Reply to
Mike Harding

Thanks, Mike.

How does one tell if the software has a protection scheme or not before buying other than simply asking?

Also, what problems did you have the required assistance?

I have bought from Dontronics before and they are really good however, they are on the other side of the world from me.

Does anyone know what C compiler is best for the PIC devices?

Quoted: On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 01:35:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote: Quoted: Quoted: >Anyone else have anything to add about a good PIC programming kit or Quoted: >the Warp13? Quoted: Quoted: Yes I have. The Warp 13 product works well, however the support Quoted: from Newfound Electronics (the makers) is terrible. If you buy one Quoted: I cannot suggest strongly enough that you buy from Dontronics Quoted: rather than direct from Newfound - if you do have problems Don Quoted: will do more than his level best to sort then out. Also ensure the Quoted: Wapr software does not have any "protection" scheme in place, Quoted: certainly one version did and it caused me no end of trouble. Quoted: Quoted: Mike Harding

Reply to
george

You can get C compilers for free,$100 or $1000s..... Kinda a loaded question, like what is the 'best' micro . That said, I bought the CCS C compiler 4 or 5 years ago. For $100 it was a really good deal. Lots of examples,decent explanation of stuff, great 'web board',downlaodable demo version,etc. Depends on the skill level you have,time for projects(hobby or work). I also bought the Microchip Picstartplus programmer for easy,works out of the box troublefree. hope this helps

Jay in Greensville,Ont -20C today !

Reply to
j.b. miller

For 18XXX devices we use MCC18 from Microchip with the MPLAB ICD2.

For 12XX 14XX and 16XX devices we use Hi-tech, which works fine, but is not cheap. Around 1 Kbuck IIRC.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

Ask on the PIClist, I should think is best. Maybe Dontronics know?

It would not be appropriate to go into them here but suffice it to say I shall not deal with Newfound again - and I have been a professional in this business for 25+ years.

If I ever buy another Newfound product (which is unlikely) it will be through Dontronics - although basically a one-man business I don't think I have seen _any_ company do more to help it's customers.

Doesn't really matter for these sorts of products and Don will respond to e-mails promptly.

To be quite fair to Newfound I have owned a Warp 3 which has been, and still is, operating well for about 6 or 7 years - I have no issue with hardware quality and the software is, generally, OK in it's operation - although NOT it's copy protection.

Hi Tech C is, without doubt, the best but it is expensive although they do do some free/low cost? products.

Mike Harding

Reply to
Mike Harding

I bought a Warp13 about a year ago, and have since downloaded a software update. Neither the original software nor the update had any sort of protection scheme in place. In fact, I've installed the software on two machines (my development system and a laptop for field use) with no problems at all. Since the software is useless without their programming hardware it's hard to see why they'd even want to protect it.

I'll add that I've been very happy with my Warp13 -- I've used it for both in- and out-of-circuit programming on a variety of PIC chips with no problems at all, using both the MPLAB software and the dedicated Warp13 software. They've released several firmware upgrades since I bought my unit, which they've made available for free as hex files or inexpensively as pre-programmed PIC chips. I'd definitely buy another one if something happened to mine...

--
Perform the arithmetic in my email address to reply
Reply to

Sorry Guys, just picked up on the thread.

I believe I'll have your goods on the way before your local source gets around to processing your order. see:

Also we have $100USD off the Hi-TECH PIC compilers. These can be sourced and shipped within the US if that is where you are.

Other PIC C Compilers:

We have one that you can web download virtually straight away.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:      http://www.e-dotcom.com/ecp.php?un=Dontronics