after a physical reboot I can log into it with a browser over wifi
just wondering if there is a way to reboot a router from the command line

Re: router command line reboot

Does it have an ssh server?

Used routers are cheap like borscht.  You could get one off eBay or
someplace for very short money and reflash it with OpenWRT, for instance.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Re: router command line reboot

Could you provide the manufacturer, model number, and firmware
version?  Not all wireless routers are made the same.

I've seen lockup problems from:
1.  Bad firmware.
2.  Overheating.
<https://www.google.com/search?q=asus+rt-n66u+overheating
3.  Bulding and leaking electrolytic capacitors.
<http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/repair/slides/Netgear%20DSA-12R-12.html>
<http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/repair/slides/Motorola-2210-02-PS.html>
<http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/repair/slides/Motorola%202210-02-1002.html>
4.  Defective power supplies:
<http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/repair/slides/2Wire-power-supplies.html>
5.  DoS (denial of service) attacks from the LAN side.

CLI (command line interface) instructions vary from router to router.
For example, the command on a Sonicwall is simply "restart".  On
Ubiquiti, it's "reboot now".  For some Cisco, it's "reload".  As I
mentioned, it would help if you provided the maker and model number of
your wireless router.

Re: router command line reboot

In addition to Jeff Lieberman's list, look up the router and find out if there's a firmware  update.
That smooths out a LOT of wrinkles (and might unload a few types of malware, as well).

Site Timeline