Problem running the example

Hi, I want to run the example "TimerInt" in the simulator mode, and I should expect printing the value of the VICVectAddr every 1 second in the Terminal I/O window, but it will show nothing.

Does anybody have an idea of what can be?

Thank you

Reply to
Frezia

Simulators generally do a very poor job of "simulating" microcontroller peripherals. They also typically run several orders of magnitude slower than the real hardware.

If your unspecified simulator for the unspecified microcontroller (I'd guess LPC2xxx) does a decent job of simulating the unspecified timer at all, one second in its realm may still be 1000 seconds of wall time.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Op Tue, 02 Sep 2008 14:03:25 +0200 schreef Frezia :

The simulator only simulates an ARM core, not a whole microcontroller. (Hint: no ARM core has VICVectAddr)

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra

Depends on your environment. RealView MDK, for instance, simulates entire MCUs. Even if the OP was using RVISS (formerly known as "Armulator"), there would be some generic peripheral models, mostly based on ARM's PrimeCells. However, RVISS doesn't simulate the PrimeCell VIC, just a very simple non-vectored interrupt controller, based, perhaps, on the ancient APB interrupt controller from the "Reference Peripherals".

BTW: There is a plug-in interface for RVISS that allows people to write their own peripheral models.

Best regards

-- Marcus Harnisch Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how VHDL * SystemC * Verilog * SystemVerilog * e * PSL * Perl * Tcl/Tk ARM Approved Training Centre (ATC)

Doulos Ltd., Central European Office, Garbsener Landstr. 10, 30419 Hannover Tel: +49 (0)511 2771340 mailto: snipped-for-privacy@doulos.com Fax: +49 (0)511 2771349 Web:

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and Doulos Ltd. reserves all rights of privilege in respect thereof. It is intended for the use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient please delete it from your system, any use, disclosure, or copying of this document is unauthorised. The contents of this message may contain personal views which are not the views of Doulos Ltd., unless specifically stated.

Doulos Ltd is registered in England and Wales: Company No. 3723454. Registered Office: Brackley Close, Christchurch, Dorset BH23 6SE, UK. VAT No: GB 730 3456 59 Directors: Rob Hurley, John Aynsley, David Crowder

Reply to
Marcus Harnisch