PIC Development Help - compiler and IDE

I am just starting to learn PIC programming. I have some experience with Motorola processors so it's not brand new to me. I was wondering what C compilers are best for PIC's, what are you guys using. I was also looking for an IDE. I am especially interested in low cost products. I have the PICKit 2 (USB interface) and the MP Labs IDE. Unfortunately I am having some compatibility issues:

1) The MP Labs IDE does not support the PICKit 2. I have to code in the IDE, then switch to the basic PIC programming to write the file. No programming or debugging can be done with the IDE.

2) The Pic lite compiler I have does not support the chip I am using - the PIC16F690. Maybe the solution is to create a header file for the specific chip. Maybe you know a site that has files like this.

I was surprised that the package I ordered did not have compatible products, all the items were bundled together in a kit. I would like to get it up and running because the PIC's have some nice features on them. My plan B is to go back to the Motorola chips.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
js1180

You can use MPLAB SIM in the IDE to simulate your code. If you get into really complicated projects that require debugging in circuit with various peripherals running, you should buy the MPLAB ICD2, which will interface directly with MPLAB IDE. You'd then be able to program your PIC and debug real time without switching applications.

The HI-TECH PICC-Lite compiler was purposely crippled so it could be released for free. If you want a C compiler for that particular chip, you should buy the HI-TECH PICC compiler.

Personally, I don't recommend that you program PIC16's in C. The PIC16 architecture isn't optimized for C code. Hand written asm code will likely run faster and take less space. If you are bent on using C, I would recommend using a PIC18 part instead, which was designed with C in mind. (The PICKit 2 may not be able to program PIC18s yet) Also, if you used a PIC18 part, you could download and use the Microchip MPLAB C18 C compiler, which is a very good C compiler. The free version of C18 disables the procedurable abstraction optimization, which is of no consequence unless you are completely out of FLASM memory. Otherwise, the free version is uncrippled and supports all current and future PIC18s.

Although I've never used PICC-Lite, my guess is that you would have to compile for one of the PICs that are supported in addition to modifying the header file.

The PICKit 2, true to it's name, is a starter kit. PICC-Lite is a 3rd party product, so it strikes me as reasonable that it does not support the PIC16F690, despite there being a copy of it on the CD. Also, the PICKit 2 is very new. While it may not be supported in MPLAB IDE yet, full source code for the host application and the internal firmware is available, so one day it may be interfaceable directly to MPLAB.

Reply to
Howard Henry Schlunder

There are no cheap/free reasonable C compilers for most PICs. As Howard wrote, the PIC architecture is not compiler friendly.

I had a deep look at Motorola and Philips and 8051-processors coming from PIC/assembly. I ended up with Atmel AVR-processors and avr-gcc using eclipse as IDE. Thats free and works very well.

Regards, Kurt

--
Kurt Harders
PiN -Präsenz im Netz GITmbH

I ended up with Atmel AVR-processors and avr-gcc using

GCC is an excellent compiler. I use it for the Hitachi processors. It's amazing that something that good is free.

Dan

Reply to
Dan N

I have been using the CCS compiler for a few years. It cost $A200, which is quite cheap. Works great. You can simulate and step through with MPLAB

--
Angelo Fraietta
http://www.smartcontroller.com.au/~angelo/

It has a development of > 15 years with permanent innovation :-).

Regards, Kurt

--
Kurt Harders
PiN -Präsenz im Netz GITmbH

I use Hi-Tech C on PIC16's the results are acceptable. Not Very cheap however.

Reply to
Neil Kurzman

Zeus is a language neutral IDE for the Windows platform:

It has features like class browsing, syntax highlighting, smart indent, code folding, project/workspace management, integrated version control etc and can be configured for almost any language and any tool set.

Note: Zeus is shareware (45 day trial).

Jussi Jumppanen Author: Zeus for Windows

Reply to
jussij