pageup/pagedwn implementation

In article Ben Bacarisse writes: > snipped-for-privacy@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl (Richard Bos) writes: ... > > Only > > three books did have two spaces after a full stop, and those were > > "typeset" in either troff or TeX - and the rest of the typography was > > just as dire. > > That will tell you about the books you happen to have, not about the > history of this notion. To verify that it is not a fiction, you need > to have a book in English, published in the UK or the USA, sometime > between roughly the middle of the 19th and 20th centuries.

I have been checking and found two reports from the National Physical Laboratory, dated 1980 en 1982. The major advantage is that these are written using a monospace font and not all text is right justified. They both contain only a single space after the full stop. I can not get my hands currently on older reports because this institute is in the middle of a renovation/new building, and so the library works only in part.

Other features: no space before punctuation, punctuation after a closing quotation mark if the punctuation is not part of the quote, etc..

--
dik t. winter, cwi, kruislaan 413, 1098 sj  amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131
home: bovenover 215, 1025 jn  amsterdam, nederland; http://www.cwi.nl/~dik/

Quite. When I was taught typing in school, it was a mistake (just like a misspelled word) if you didn't put two spaces after a period. I continue to do so 30+ years later.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Are the STEWED PRUNES
                                  at               still in the HAIR DRYER?

CBF> However, let me point out that Usenet messages, written CBF> according to the appropriate protocols, are using fixed width CBF> fonts with fixed width spaces.

Cite an RFC that tells me it is incorrect to display my messages in Times New Roman, please.

Charlton

--
Charlton Wilbur
cwilbur@chromatico.net

If it's any help, I have a book typeset and printed in England around 1720.

The gap between sentences (between a full-stop and the first word of the next sentence) seems two or three times as wide as a normal space.

--
bartc
Reply to

I can't pick one out, but believe it exists. You may wish to read, with care, rfc2822.txt, rfc2821.txt, rfc1036s.txt, rfc822.txt. I believe that 'ASCII' is also specified. MIME is a different matter, but does not apply to Usenet.

 [page]:
            Try the download section.
Reply to
CBFalconer

This is one of the few "usenet is/is not that" messages of Chuck with real practical value. I am sure you know using fixed (same for all characters) character width allows one to draw simple graphics which will be lost with proportional fonts. Legacy from the times when terminals had character generators, each cell say 12x8 pixels (I still emulate that at more places than I care to remember :-) ).

Didi