OT: newsreader

Folks, OT as it is and my apologies for that, however I do have an expression that most of the people here are *NOT* using google interface for public places. Yes, I gave up for using google anymore, it simply sucks now, specially the so called _beta_. It was just fine quite time ago.

Any suggestions for selecting good newsreader? and what are the goodies one should concern while picking one?

ali

Reply to
Ali

Many curse it but I get on just fine with outlook express although once in a while it fails to indent replies with a > for some reason.

I've used Thunderbird too and that is pretty good.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

Actually I've tried both but IIRC there is no way you can see the indication/alert informing that someone replied your very post. Moreover, no way you can know that there is a post to the thread you are also involved-in.

Perhaps, google gives you that kind of information. You can see the summary on weekly basis including the threads you have touched, posts started by you and etc. etc. Although, now its all gone with the wind because of their poor _beta_. Howcome they don't do testing before putting it alive;-)

ali

Reply to
Ali

None of the newsreaders I've tried can do that. Beats me why, because such a feature can't be difficult to implement.

That, unfortunately, has become the norm in software "design". Same for web site "designs". In my field (medical) it is very different.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Try emacs. Any time there's a reply that has a post by me in its thread history, it's color coded and has a '+' next to it. I can also score on other things, up or down, so for example cross-posted articles have a '-' next to them and a different color, and if the score is low enough, it doesn't show up at all.

If you are interested in a particular thread, you can also just score the whole thread up.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Do you use OE-Quote with it? I have no personal experience, but I've heard many people recommend it.

Thunderbird seems to be adequate for most people. I like Agent.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

I don't understand what you mean. All newsreaders provide some way of indicating unread posts, and most provide filters that can add indicators or locations based on other criteria.

Interesting, but I can't think of any reason I'd want that information.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

Ditto on both of these comments.

Also, I know that Outlook Express is widely used for newsgroups although I don't use it myself.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Looks like that is more for computer gurus though. tar files and all that. I'm not such a guru ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I tries a few, but stick with Thunderbird. There are sufficient people involved in the development such that it is stable and continously evolves.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Rene Tschaggelar ha scritto:

I second that. After years of OE Express (for the news...), I installed some days ago Thunderbird.

First impressions are very good. Finally I can add a calendar with alarms, also.

And, best of all: if I put my mail in a shared unit, I can see / work with *same* data from *same* application (Thunderbird) even from Ubuntu.

Reply to
Antonio Pasini

... snip ...

Try Thunderbird. Available (free) for Windoze, Linux, and MAC.

CBFalconer

I use and like Gravity. I've tried others but not liked them as well. Since Gravity isn't being developed anymore I'll proabagly have to go searching eventually.

Robert

Robert Adsett

You would think a bunch who are held out as *the best and brightest* could figure out the concept of

**test it in a sandbox BEFORE uploading it**.

Google Groups has never really left beta.

One rubric:

*-Gravity+Free+GPL+Disclaimers+Disclaimers+Disclaimers+*-Agent+Xnews+Pan+Thunderbird

4 years old:
. . Something else you might need to consider:
*-*-haven't-seen-any-*-*-*-*-floods+Coverage.and.retention.is.good+Floods+known-trolls+new-articles-show-up-fast+supernews+qq-qq+uu+the.price.is.right
Reply to
JeffM

No, just plain ordinary OE. It works most of the time but occasionally gets a bee in its bonnet. Presumably, if some particular sequence of text occurs in a message then OE decides it is being instructed to override the > options.

I have thunderbird installed too but I've only used it once or twice. It appears to offer the same things that OE does so I didn't really bother going much further with it.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

... snip ...

Except that Thunderbird is an order of magnitude safer than Outhouse against the evil beggars attacking out there.

CBFalconer