PING from Windows to a serial port

I need to PING an embedded system from Windows via COM2 on my PC. Could anyone tell me how to do it please?

TIA.

Rog.

Reply to
Roger

No. Because you've completely forgot to explain what "PING" is supposed to mean. Going over the serial port, it's somewhat obvious that you're not referring to the common "ping" command (i.e. the usual command line interface to the ICMP "echo" request).

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

By PING I mean the ICMP echo utility. I have a SLIP link over a direct cable connection from COM2 on my PC to an 8 bit controller running the early stages of a TCP/IP implementation. I want to PING it - simple as that.

Rog.

Reply to
Roger

Have you tried using the "ping" command?

At the command prompt type "ping A.B.C.D" where A.B.C.D is the IP address you want to ping.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  ... the HIGHWAY
                                  at               is made out of LIME

Surely this would try to put the packets down the Ethernet rather than the COM port?

Rog.

Reply to
Roger

It will send the packets where ever the routing table says they should go.

[Please trim your quotes and quit top-posting.]
--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  PIZZA!!
                                  at
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

Reply to
Roger

NB: Unless you trim your quotes and quit top-posting, I'll ignore your posts.

At the command prompt type "route".

Methinks a book on networking under WinXP might be a good investment.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. Should I get
                                  at               locked in the PRINCIPAL'S
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

If you have an external dialup MODEM connected to Com2 where do the packets go?

Reply to
Neil Kurzman

who has decided that it's better to "down posting" rather than "top posting".. for me it's far simpler to read the answer directly instead to have to go down the post to see the answer.. generally if I'm interested by an answer that's because I allready read the precedent post with the question..

PS: don't see it to be agressive or something like that, I'm just curious.. does your software display the message in by the downside of the post.. or is it some kind of strange newsgroup rule..

Reply to
Fred*

There have been several long discussions on this recently. Top posting is rather like answering a question before it has been asked. If, say, your newsreader doesn't keep posts very long or if you only come into a conversation later on then top posting means that you have to scroll around the posts to find out what has gone on. If you bottom post then all you have to do is to read through the message in the natural sequence.

Another reason that people dislike top posting is that people top post without deleting irrelevant information from the post**. This means that messages can get very long (bad if you are not on broadband) and it can be difficult to find the question or point that was being answered. ** This is generally because newsreaders make it easy to do this: Outlook Express, for instance, "top posts" by default but if you combine it with the excellent QuoteFix then that bottom posts by default (and does a great deal more). Of course, people do bottom post without trimming the message too. Irrespective of top or bottom posting it is generally considered courteous to trim messages to the relevant points.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Jackson

It is a strange newsgroup rule, designed to keep transmissions coherent, understandable, and reasonably short. You will never get yelled at for bottom-posting. See the links in my sig below.

--
 Some informative links:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

In that case a Connection is associated with an application e.g. IE uses a dial-up connection that you selected. My query could be expressed as: how do I associate PING with the SLIP connection that I've made out of COM2?

Rog.

Reply to
Roger

A: I've already answered that question.

B: PLONK.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  My face is new, my
                                  at               license is expired, and I'm
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

No, IE has nothing to do with the routing of IP traffic, except to trigger and disconnect the dial-up session. The dial-up interface handles the comms details - it's hooked into the IP protocol stack of the PC; routes are added to the IP route table when the connection is made.

If you have a SLIP interface defined, it would be similarly hooked into the IP stack and when you give it an IP address and subnet mask that will cause the local routing entries to be created. As long as the device on the other end of the SLIP link is operable with an IP address in the same subnet ping will automatically route where it needs to.

Other details of your project will be much more difficult than this step, so I suggest gathering some good reference material. The best source is Bentham's book TCP/IP Lean, which is a 400-page text covering exactly what you are attempting.

Richard

Reply to
Richard H.

People often jump in to the middle of threads, for many reasons. Perhaps they found earlier parts of the thread uninteresting. Perhaps their newsreader and/or newsserver did not cache the earlier part, as is often the case if one has been away from usenet for more than a few days. Or perhaps they are using a search engine to look for old posts. That's why it is important to have an appropriate amount of context from previous posts, so that people don't have to look backwards and forwards through threads, and it's why some of the regulars here are getting increasingly annoyed with newbie google posters, who don't realise this. The unwritten Usenet rules were made for good reasons, and it is only polite to learn them and follow them when asking people for help.

Reply to
David

Richard,

Thanks very much for your answer. As you might have seen I've been getting some snide responses to my question from other people!

I think I see what you mean about how it all works now. The subnet mask is used to associate the addresses on the same connection from the PC. Therefore if I assign an IP address of 10.1.1.1 to my PC SLIP link and

10.1.1.2 to my embedded board and have a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, the PING 10.1.1.2 packets will go over the serial link to the board.

Thanks again,

Rog.

Reply to
Roger

This NG gets a fair number of "how long is a piece of string" questions, and your initial post started the replies down that path.

Yes, precisely. Installing the Windows SLIP virtual interface driver and assigning it an IP subnet should cause the supporting entries to be added.

IIRC, SLIP routing logic is essentially "if the address is in the SLIP's subnet, and it's not my IP address, send it out the SLIP port". So, the far-end could use any or all of the other addresses in the subnet.

Good luck. And check out the book - it's loaded with good stuff on getting an MCU to do TCP. Not the least of which is how you'll handle checksums without any buffer memory.

So, what MCU are you using, and what started you down the path you're on with this project?

Reply to
Richard H.

That's because you continue to top-post and not trim after being asked to not do so. Can you see how top-posting sort of cuts the conversation off?

It is customary on USENET to follow conventions preferred by the individual groups. It is considered very rude behavior to ignore requests asking you to do so. Perhaps that was not your intention, but that is how it was perceived by many here. Maybe you post in other groups where this is the norm, but I assure that it is not that way here. Maybe you are new to USENET? If so you're going to find it quite interesting. ;-)

Since you seem to have occasion to work with embedded projects, you may have need of help from people here in the future. You have already lost at least one good source by giving the appearance that you didn't care what Mr. Edwards thought of your posting style, you were going to do it your way. You might not want to burn too many bridges, as there are not as many people on USENET willing to be helpful as you might think.

"Roger" wrote

getting

mask is

the

uses

as:

of

trigger

the

routes

into

will

device on

same

step,

source is

exactly what

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

For the "unwritten rules", read the rules that have been wriiten for more than 10 years that next to nobody reads -

The basis of all Netiquette and FAQ documents like Emily Postnews that came after.

    PC Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Carpenter