[OT] I'm Available for Work

I've noticed lately that people are harassing us, practically begging us, to do analog stuff. But too many are small-scale physics fads, which are unlikely to be enough volume to be profitable.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yup

--
www.wescottdesign.com

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Does that mean you are planning on getting qualified, or hoping to get work that you are not qualified for? Lack of qualifications hasn't stopped anyone before :-)

Reply to
David Brown

This bloke is also available for work:

Julian Barnes

Same here. Though I do not do production, merely facilitate it by being the go-to person for CAM holds and out of stock component situations with the contract assembler. So for my designs volume does not matter, it only matters to the client.

Overly optimistic budget assumptions are a problem on occasion. "I thought this would be very simple and only cost ..." and so on. Especially post-Obamacare many medical projects are on a shoestring budget and I had to turn down some on account of being too unrealistic. Just as you once said, often more than half of an engineer's work relates to packaging, mechanical and such. Folks who have never been through a serious design often forget to budget for that. What I find very refreshing are the fields of industrial design, aerospace and similar where there is either a large profit margin or a high volume. That results in reasonable budgets.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I think this is okay too. But I'll add that given the egalitarian nature of Usenet, such privileges, if allowed at all, cannot be confined to regular contributors.

There is an old, possibly long-forgotten Usenet rule that says that self-promotion of any sort must be limited to no more than one post every two months.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Pope

I've never seen that "rule" before. I've seen admonitions to keep self-promotion to sig lines, though. ...or perhaps where it is perfectly in line with the existing thread.

Reply to
krw

Get several silly requests one of the silliest that did not want redesign but just layout the PCB had

1/ Bluetooth chip in 6 x 6 mm QFP (had to be QFP) with NO tracks under the device (data sheet requirement to avoid interference) 2/ PCB had to be 8 x 40 mm (remember that 6mm wide QFP) 3/ several wire points for power 4/ somewhere for the antenna 5/ Several other devices that really needed to be aligned to get magnetic/gyro/compass axis aligned 6/ Best of all using a latching Hall effect switch device and its Open Drain output to drive the 3V3 rail for all devices.

As NO redeign or change of packages were permitted I said No Quote could just see the blame trail game on that one a mile off.

I have seen too many that want to break the lawa of physics

    PC Services
  Raspberry Pi Add-ons
 Timing Diagram Font
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul

You didn't explain any of the difficulties to them, you just washed your hands of it?

--

Rick
Reply to

When it's done, post a picture!

lunatic fringe electronics

In an un-moderated group, there are no rules.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

In the old days, rules in unmoderate groups were enforced by cancelbots.

Since few servers process cancels anymore, this mechanism is gone.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Pope

I only remember cancel bots in the context of spam deletion or ISP terms of use violations for unmoderated groups. I don't recall comp.dsp ever having such issues, although I do recall spam being pretty common up to only a few years ago.

But that's just my recollection, which, like all recollections, is subject to evidenciary revision. ;)

Eric Jacobsen Anchor Hill Communications

Eric Jacobsen

I use Supernews and see very little spam. The main junk is endless, off-topic, ritual flame wars by the usual few idiots. I just ignore them.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yep. But, too-frequent adversising of goods or services would constitute spam, under any version of Usenet rules/etiquette I've encountered.

There usually was no need for a cancel-bot on a newsgroup such as this.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Pope

That sounds like a rule.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Tim,

I was chasing some of the articles you have written and noticed "Sigma-delta techniques extend DAC resolution" is supposed to be in the June 2004 issue while it is really in the July 2004 issue. They aren't making it easy to reach the articles in ESP. If you could fix your web page it would be a help. Just in case you didn't know, the entire archive portion of the embedded.com site has been redone and your direct links to the articles are broken.

--

Rick
Reply to

Repeatedly but they kept saying it would fit and work, so I said NO quote.

So as not able to change package or do any other redesign I did not want to be caught in blame trail etc

    PC Services
  Raspberry Pi Add-ons
 Timing Diagram Font
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul

Sounds like a tough one. I don't typically do just PCB layout, but I do like a challenge. Wish I could have had a crack at that.

--

Rick
Reply to

Of course. I make the rules.