I'm available for projects

I sit here bored out of my skull with nothing to do but play Solitaire until the next project start on July 5 ;-)

I'm noted for custom Analog/Mixed-Signal Design and Spice Behavioral Modeling, but I also do designs using off-the-shelf components.

No project is too small... I've even done one-day designs from time-to-time.

Drop me an E-mail (*)

(*) Do not include attachments in your first E-mail... An E-mail not matching an entry in my addressbook and with an attachment drops your E-mail into a black hole. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

How about writing that book I've been bugging you about?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

I ponder that, but I'm not sure I'd be good at writing... circuit design is so easy for me I'm not sure I can explain how I do it ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

How about something smaller to start with? Describe/ talk about your favorite IC or circuit idea.... or something else.

Think of it like one chapter in a J. Williams analog design book.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

That might work. I actually do best face-to-face with an audience that asks questions.... years ago I wrote and presented seminars for ICE (Integrated Circuit Engineering... not the government ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Den torsdag den 12. maj 2016 kl. 21.35.57 UTC+2 skrev Jim Thompson:

get a camera and setup a youtube channel

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Start with some examples, and write them as you go along. I find that writing or rewriting sections when I'm actually doing the task described improves them greatly.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

In the mid 1980s, Roland had International Rectifier design a custom chip called the IR3R05 for their analog synthesisers. I think it was a 14 pin package...it basically consisted of 4 OTA stages like the Lm13700 configured as a 24 db/octave resonant low pass filter with inputs for voltage controlled frequency and resonance, along with a VCA with both linear and exponential inputs, all on the chip. The 4 filter capacitors were mounted off chip on the board.

What kind of job would it be to design a chip or maybe a daughterboard that performed an equivalent function? These chips often fail in vintage equipment and there seems to be a decent sized market for replacements that dont require scrounging for NOS or cannibalizing old units.

--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bitrex

On 5/12/2016 2:35 PM, Jim Thompson wrote: ...Jim Thompson

I have an ICE story, I have a friend that owns an ice plant, he bags ice and fills the freezers boxes you see outside stores. He also has a marine construction company. So, he wears T shirts that say ICE, he went to a job site of one of his contractor friends, 13 guys went running for the back fence and were gone for the rest of the day. My friend was ask, please don't show up on my job site wearing that shirt again.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I'm sure I could replicate the chip, but I don't do PCB layout, that's another skillset altogether. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

That's hysterical!

Does he sell the shirts?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

So write in a Q&A style, interspersing your exposition with the kinds of question you'd *like* your listeners to ask. Don't forget the "dumb" questions, and explain *why* they're dumb.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Den fredag den 13. maj 2016 kl. 00.12.23 UTC+2 skrev Jim Thompson:

never to late to learn, if you are bored anyway.

download KiCAD and watch this:

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Good thing I've got that skillset. ; )

I wonder it the required components could be squeezed into a daughterboard that would fit the space available. Might require some vertical mounting hack.

--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bitrex

Shirts about ELI the ICE man would be discouraged too, eh? ;)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

So do that... but get a stenographer to come, and take delivery of a typed transcript. You only need to edit it.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I've considered that... not for profit, but for my G-jobs ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Jim, go buy a fishing pole.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

I would say go out for a walk, but I guess you are in a wheelchair already.

Reply to
sean.c4s.vn