OT: card storage

Hi,

Like most folks, I've accumulated a fair number of "I/O cards" over the years. Many I need to hold onto to give me certain capabilities (e.g., EIA485, certain digital I/O's, etc.) to maintain old designs. Others are worthwhile from time to time as I reorganize my machine herd and opt to support different peripheral sets.

[I'm currently only speaking of COTS cards -- ISA, PCI, various memory packages, etc. -- not custom stuff]

Storing these has proven to be not trivial. I've tried different approaches over the years -- antistatic bags, small boxes (e.g., "Wide SCSI HBA's", "TR NIC's", etc.), big boxes (e.g., "Network cards", "Memory", etc.). None really seem to work well. :<

The REAL solution is probably just to sh*tcan the lot and when I come across a future need! :>

Has anyone come up with a slick way of storing cards that doesn't beat up on the cards, makes it relatively easy to locate the card you want *and* doesn't dramatically increase the volume required to store them (i.e., putting each in "retail packaging")? Right now, I think the most viable option (for me) is back to antistatic bags (to help the cards slide over each other without "catching" on protruding components) in *large* boxes :-(

Thx,

--don

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Order the right size box for several cards to lay in without having to show horn them in. The real key is uniform size boxes so they all stak and play well with each other.

Similar to these:

Then start labeling the boxes. NIC, Modem, VGA, etc.

Jeff

--
?Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.?
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com
Reply to
Jeffrey D Angus

That's been the problem! With the exception of "duplicates" of individual cards, it seems like every card is a different size (and even *shape*!). Couple that with the differences in component heights/placement, heatsinks, coolers, etc. and things just don't want to stack nicely. :<

Most of the memory sticks are reasonably well behaved (though there are some exceptions -- like metal clad RAMBUS memory, etc.). PCMCIA cards tend to be annoyances (often due to accommodations for connectors, etc.)

That's why I feel it's probably not worth "fighting" with them and just bag them and let them fall where they will in an oversized box :-(

Or, cut some slots in a 1x4 and try to *stand* them in a suitably dimensioned box...

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Find a 'bin' box wide enough for the largest one. Use the bags as you have mentioned and 'stand' them on edge in the bin box, perhaps alpabetically front to back. Or make a cheat sheet - possibly label/number the bags. ???

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

If they all have edge connectors, you could put 1/16" slots in a couple of square dowels mounted on a flat board, and store the cards erect, connectors stuck into the slots, with a piece of paper with a description next to each card.

--
John
Reply to

They don't like to stand :< I've tried standing them with "connector down" as well as "connector up". They just don't like either of those orientations "unassisted". That's why I was thinking of just letting them "slosh around" (the bags acting as the "lubricant") -- as long as they don't damage each other.

I'm not *that* anal retentive! :> If I can see the card inside the bag, then I'm all set. E.g., "this box contains network interface cards" (so I know everything in it will be a NIC). I can dig through a dozen or two cards to find what I want once it's narrowed down like that.

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Yes, I've thought of a "slotted board" (run a 1x4 over a table saw with blade set at 1/4" or so) without the "dowels" atop. I'm just not thrilled that even *that* will keep them from conspiring to topple once they're out of sight (i.e., box closed)

I guess its a lot easier if you have cards that are the same size, etc. as you can support them (reliably) in more than one place.

Reply to
D Yuniskis

That's exactly what I do. I saved and bought a mess of antistatic bags of varying sizes. I'm partial to the pink plastic variety so I can sorta see what's inside the bag. Each board goes in a bag and then vertically into a cardboard box. For boards with projecting pins and connectors the need extra protection where I drop a block of pink foam or pink peanuts into the bag. I've learned not to over stuff the cardboard box as overstuffing will tend to break pins and components when I have to search for a specific board. That means one layer of cards maximum, which also means cutting down the liquor store cardboard box to a lower height. The outside of the box gets a post-it note with a rough inventory of the contents. Valuable boards that have software and accessories included usually get the retail packaging treatment.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

That idea of slots in a board sounds ideal..you "plug in" the board; slot spacing same as connector spacing in a PC MB.

Reply to
Robert Baer

If you have some old unused passive backplane computers, which usually have a lot of ISA and PCI slots, just plug in the cards into these empty slots :-)

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

I worked for many years at a small company making such cards and we were always very careful with them, helped by them being high value and low volumes. I recently joined a much bigger company with 10 software, 5 firmware and 3 hardware guys on this project. The system has mezzanine cards of various sizes and everyone seems to have piles of them that they just rummage through to find what they need.

In three years one board has been damaged whilst not in its anti- static bag.

Bag em, chuck them in a box and don't shake the box.

Colin

Reply to
colin_toogood

In message , Paul Keinanen writes

Get some old dead motherboards, hacksaw the PCI/ISA socket areas out then screw them down to a piece of blockboard or similar sized to fit the bottom of your storage box. Give the slots a spray of contact cleaner before you stick the cards in to keep the edge connectors shiny.

I use 16"-20" plastic toolboxes to store my assorted ISA/PCI cards as well as other general hardware such as CPUs, video cards, cables etc.; they're cheap, rigid, stack nicely and they can be sealed with some shrink-wrap film around the lids to prevent moisture getting in if they spend any time in an unheated storage space.

--
 To reply, my gmail address is nojay1              Robert Sneddon
Reply to

I'm aware of a repair shop where they had strung steel wire near the ceiling of the store, tensioned with turn-buckles (otherwise unused space). Then a plastic curtain hook hot-melt glued to corner of each board, on a weekly basis, then strung up. Timewise order to the boards , so could be cross-referenced to repair job log so no logging of the boards as such

Reply to
N_Cook

=46or a quick help from what you are doing, sort the cards into boxes by type and LABEL the boxes. Only one kind in a box. Put the boxes in storage racks and label the racks. =20 If you really want to protect the cards build card board separation racks, include space for matching specialty cables and driver software. This eats up more space but keeps important combinations of things together. =20 One of the smartest things i ever did was to package all the driver software with each PC i have. I actually placed it inside the case.

Reply to
JosephKK

Since every case designer seems to have their own bright ideas about how to mount hard drives etc. it's not a bad idea to bag up all the extra hardware in a 4 mil poly bag and store it inside the case. Then you won't find yourself looking for an extra-long metric screw and silicone grommet, or thin snap-in rails etc. Another possible place is the mombo box- a dozen or two of them fit nicely on a high shelf.

You can buy boxes in various form factors from places like Uline. If it isn't worth a 50-cent box to store neatly, maybe it should be tossed?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I sotred mine in a dead PC shell

Reply to
Robert Macy

I create a directory containing all of the software installed on a particular machine along with a text file documenting the order in which the software was installed (so, if there is a problem, I can figure out *why*; if not, I now have *one* way of installing everything that is 'known' to work). I burn this onto a set of DVD's so I can reinstall as needed.

(I also image the drive so I can restore it to its initial configuration relatively easily without having to reinstall all of the software *again*...)

I don't save cases. If it's not running (i.e., "in service"), it goes in the recycle bin.

I tried that route. You end up with *lots* of "wasted volume". :< Just pilling boards into four "large" boxes resulted in about

4 cubic feet of "boards". I suspect that would double if each board was packed in something akin to retail packaging.

E.g., I store my "spare" keyboards in "keyboard boxes" and they easily take up twice their minimal volume.

I suspect most boards are such commodity items that a 50c box would be a huge (relative) investment -- in cardboard. :>

(OTOH, if you just toss those commodity cards out, the cost of acquiring a new one WHEN YOU NEED IT is ridiculously expensive -- travel time, opportunity costs, etc.)

I'll see how the "sort into four categories" approach works. If I can find boxes that are ~30% smaller, then I can, perhaps, toss 30% of the boards (and *hope* I toss the ones that I won't need NEXT WEEK! :> )

Reply to
D Yuniskis

I use "Totino's Frozen Pizza" boxes to store keyboards. You can stand about eight in each box. I pick them up at the grocery store for free. Some of the other frozen food and packaged lunchmeat boxes are great for storing PC boards & spare drives. The boxes for three, one gallon bottles of water is good for CD & DVD drives, or other 5.25" drives.

Empty 55 gallon steel drums are great for all those extra hard drive cables, and other cables from dead PCs. When you get tired of digging through them, they are already ready to haul to the recyclers. ;-)

I don't throw out any good boards. You never know when you'll need one you can't replace. A few years ago I repaired a prototype IBM PC for a retired IBM EE. The old man was in tears when he discovered that I not only had a FDC board, but it was a genuine IBM board.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Huh? Oblong pizzas?? :> (sorry, I just can't picture this :< )

I've "standardized" on "Vacutainer" boxes (vacutainers are those vacuum-filled, rubber-stoppered, "test tubes" that are used when blood is drawn). They are ~18x12x6 so they fit nicely on my (18 inch deep) shelves. They are big enough that I can store "enough" in each -- yet not *too* big to end up with lots of "empty space".

E.g., I have a box for SCSI "1" cables, "2", "wide", VHDCI, DB25, VGA, DVI, 10Base2, "RJ45", etc.; boxes for screwdrivers, chisels, drills, etc.; CD-ROMs, DVD writers, speech synthesizers, barcode readers, PDAs, signature pads, etc.; development boards (SBC's), hookup wire scraps, etc.; access points, routers, network fabric, network appliances, etc.

[I think there are ~130 of these boxes currently]

I like the cables sorted. Probably 25% of my "storage" is dedicated to cables. I suspect there is more *real* "value" there than in any of the other stuff -- it seems like I don't go more than a day without needing to dig out some sort of cable! Especially all of the odd-ball "specials" common for USB :-/

I don't throw *out* anything. Everything gets recycled.

I don't save "old" stuff anymore -- unless I need it to support an old design, etc. E.g., I have only one ISA bus PC -- but, it can support two *full* length cards.

OTOH, I got bit yesterday as I needed a PS2 keyboard and didn't have a "spare" (I only keep a few spare keyboards and most of those are "specials") so I had to borrow one from one of my servers. :<

I really like these little *tiny* keyboards (about 12" wide?) for those machines that I run headless -- yet "need" a keyboard to be able to power it down "locally" (i.e., "typing blind").

[I keep a portable *7* inch LCD monitor for those times when I need to connect a display to a headless machine... requires a bit of squinting to read but a lot nicer than having to lug a larger monitor around!]
Reply to
D Yuniskis

Rectangular boxes the ship 10 pizzas in. 10" wide, 20" long and 7" deep. Some come with lids, while others are just open trays.

The water boxes are 6.25" wide, 18.5" long and 10" deep.

I'll see your 130, and raise you over 500 Banana Boxes. (16" wide,

20" long and 9" deep:) They are used for storage without shelves in one of my small shop buildings. They are in three groups, stacked eight high. They are two stacks deep along the outside walls, and a center isle three deep down the center of the building. That leaves two long three feet wide isles. This is where things are stored and sorted before being recycled or dismantled. There are bulk components, computer, test equipment and tooling stored there. A few complete telephone systems & spare parts that I was using to support some radio stations.

That was where I did most of my work before I became disabled. I would grab some old equipment and decide if it was worth repairing. If it was, I would look for the parts I needed, or just make notes and box it up until I got the parts. Others were like the old WE or SC 2500 series five line phones. (1A2 type) I had a steady stream of bad phones show up. The ones in good shape were repaired and boxed up. The rest were scrapped as fast as I could. In 10 years I scrapped over 500 of them. I still have some spare phones and 400 series cards. They are going to a local tire business for spares as I find them. They help local Veterans, so it's only fair to return that help. :)

The barrel is for things that I have way too many of. Like 25 foot Centronics Printer cables or 50 foot RS232 cables. I will grab one of those to make a custom cable for someone. I just dug out a 25 foot Centronics Printer cable a few days ago to make a long Serial Printer cable for an IOLine vinyl cutter for a friend to cut lettering. No one stocks them anymore, around here. They probably never did stock anything over six feet.

I have a stack of boxes full of hard and floppy drive cables. Others are full of various power cables. About 500 AC adapters sorted by voltage, or application. (EG: HP Printer power supplies)

I can go one better. there is a local program to teach people to do assembly work. At times they want scrap electronics to use to teach soldering, and rework. :)

You can't use VNC software to shut it down from another computer?