Old trackball won't work on modern laptops

Everything to do with the ICE is tricky so any dosemu pain will just be a part of a more comprehensive painmaking operation. However, it does sound as if it may be a route with a chance of success.

I've seen a few motherboards and they are not crazily priced and I don't mind spending a bit of cash for the right thing anyway. Someone mentioned a PCI to ISA converter which may allow me to use my existing hardware but it does add another layer of abstraction onto the layers already introduced by linux and dosemu.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

I like the sig " sometimes I cook with wine... other I even add it to the food" annon classic

mhp

Reply to
LVMarc

AKA "Computer Condoms"?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Joerg wrote: (snip)

Amen to that, Joerg. Stuff is either made so cheap that it breaks long before it should or the new models of the things it's used with render it obsolete. Either way, ya gotta buy new. It sux.

Try to find a new SCSI scanner or an x-GHz AT motherboard. Was checking out DVD burners on the Plextor site the other day and did a double-take when I noticed that all on that page, except one, is USB. Only the one odd one is ATAPI.

You think you have a problem? My OS doesn't support USB.

-- Michael trapped in the 90's with OS/2 Warp 3

Reply to
Michael

DVD

There is one solution to that and the industry shoots itself in the foot at times because of it: You can forego upgrades for a long, long time. Sure, I just bought a new PC for the lab because I needed one there. But I can and on occasion do schematic entry on this here newsgroup machine from the mid-90's. When working on schematic capture or filter design I do not notice any significant difference in productivity versus the new XP machine. Oh, and it has a real CRT where I can see stuff without glasses even when the sun hits the screen.

Did I mention that we do not own a DVD player at home and that one can live just fine without it? Or that the old 25" analog TV still works like a champ? That my car does not "feature" electric this, that and the other thing but passes smog with flying colors every time? That this consulting office is usually heated by a wood stove? That I split the firewood with a hydraulic cylinder driven by an engine built in 1942? That the 1950's tube radio here in the office sounds better than them newfangled MP3 players yet never needed new electrolytics?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Some are going to be SATA as well... in fact, I believe that Plextor was one of the first companies to release SATA DVD/CD burners.

Keep the OS/2 machine around for whatever you need it for, spend $250 on a bare-bones PC and install Linux?

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

I'll ship you one for free if you'd like, Joerg! :-) Just e-mail me your address...

There's nothing wrong with keeping to the technology you already have and enjoy, although I would suggest that sometimes you may not appreciate newer technology until you've actually sat down and used it for awhile. There is a perceptible, positive difference between, e.g., a 1080p big-screen TV and your 25" analog clunker, while I'd buy that heating your office with wood is perhaps actually a little nicer than heating with electricity or gas.

I'm told that what most people consider the "better" sound of tubes is what we engineers generally refer to as "distortion." :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

I know my XP laptop supports serial mice because I had to disable it :- ( If I didn't, it treated my GPS unit as a mouse and the cursor jumped all over the screen.

Reply to
David Wilson

the timer (0x40:0x1c) is typically well emulated, code that uses timing loops, however, will fail miserably as processors are now 1000 times faster than they were in the 80s

what software is giving you grief?

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Interesting, but I didn't notice that point being addressed.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

On a sunny day (28 Jan 2007 06:04:17 GMT) it happened jasen wrote in :

windows->linux It specifically mentions other OSses like BSD etc Also 'convert into' is the vaguest formulation of what it does I have seen so far. I think one can say it is pretty much a windows clone using Unix for the IO. (Now somebody will argue with ta). So let's refer to the description on their site.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Don't remember. As much as I do remember it was WDF filter design routines from Texas Instruments. But AFAIR I found a "fix" on the web to recompile in a way that the main program didn't use fixed timing intervals anymore and that made it work. With the Mildenberger WDF program I still have the issue that some warnings show up for about

100msec and I have to repeat the run several times, reading one word per "flash" to make out what it says.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks, Joel. But we wouldn't use it at all :-)

True, but we only watch the evening news. And even those only up to the weather forecast. TV doesn't mean much for us.

No rushing air, much healthier IMHO.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

The primary heat source doesn't make a difference to the helthiness of room climate. Those European-style water-heated radiators make a nice heating, no matter how the water gets hot (I'm saying European-style because all I've ever seen in the US were those AC ducts used for both heating and cooling - quite unpleasant, actually).

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Linux also contains dosemu, that is probably better at running old DOS software then Wine. At least you will have less overhead, and an easier time debuggin.

Albert van der Horst

Greetings,

The following is a link to a new, bare, 5 ISA slot motherboard. Price: $5.95.

(Home page:

Need I continue?

Cordially, Richard Kanarek

Not affiliated with BG Micro except as an occasional (satisfied) customer.

Reply to
Richard Kanarek