nibz embedded example under construction ideas wanted

Hi

has been started in earnest. The idea to split the UFM on MAX II came to me last night. So far 23% logic resources have been used on the 1270 for just the processor. I am expecting the 16 to 8 bit bus interface and UFM decode and control to take a similar amount.

I am requesting anyone who wishes to contribute or use the design in a final year project of a course to contact me so a consistant base system can be developed.

A PCI backplane bus is available. Ideas on it's use, or on a 'better pin out/timing model' for use with old PC motherboards as system backplane or 2:1 PCI card adapters are most welcome.

An SD card port will be included, so no hard disk PIO mode etc will be provided. 22MHz clocking for around 10 MIPS performance is expected. A

22MHz memory to output DMA could also be possible for 176 Mb/s raster output given the 66MHz memory part. DMA input is not possible at this speed due to R/W line cycling pattern required.

cheers jacko

Reply to
jacko
42% in speed of 68MHz min. Looking into vga graphics too. (8 char each side on horizontal chopped to 64*60) Doing four colour (R G B invbitsRGB) in each char with invert bit on each colour.so (B M R G is possible or Y M C W etc.)

Found a method to almost double UFM effective size too.

cheers jacko

Reply to
Jacko

Designing a 16:8 bit memory bus unit at the moment. Given that a write never follows a write, then delaying the write high byte till after the following accesses read low byte (WWRR -> WRWR) the RW control to the 8 bit SRAM can be run at a lower frequency. This leads to a higher memory bandwidth. For a small number of LEs this is a good idea.

cheers jacko

Reply to
Jacko

Done the half bus width version. 31% resources of 1270, 49MHz/12MIPS. Download nibzC.vhd from

for a look see. The write delay byte splitting allows full speed into 50MHz SDRAM, without the no rising edge on RW between two byte writes problem.

Now I have to make the UFM memory mux and bus master control unit just in case I want vga graphics or DA converters etc. Not bad even if I do say so myself.

cheers jacko

Reply to
Jacko