Need Comments on Freescale i.MX51 kit with Android BSP

I would like to develop an embedded device for monitoring environment parameters and send data to server via the Internet. It is not a wireless application, and it is not a smart phone application. Is Android also a good solution for embedded device, what do you think? Is it a good experience for you to develop applications with Android?

I have some experience with WindRiver Workbench and Eclipse before. How is the Android's IDE/Tools (guess it is Eclipse/ADT) compared to WindRiver Workbench? Which is a better choice for the firmware developers (easier to debug, easier to use, etc.)?

I also hear Freescale now provides i.MX51 kit with Android BSP, any comments on it? Has anybody tried it yet? How do you like it?

If I have to choose between Freescale i.MX51 kit with Android BSP, and Freescale i.MX25 kit with Freescale Linux BSP, which seems better (higher performance, quicker to the market, lower BOM cost etc.)?

Any comment is highly appreciated. Thank you!

Reply to
Like2Learn
2011-01-09 05:52, Like2Learn skrev:

Seems overkill to do this with Linux/Android. You can probably get this running with a flash based

32 bit micro with 512 kB flash and 64-128 kB SRAM. There is an example project for the AT32UC3A0512, which seems to do most things you are looking for.

Best Regards Ulf Samuelsson

Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson