My question is , will C continue to dominate the embedded systems ?

any ideas or thoughts about it will be appreciated !

Reply to
Nadia

Yes.

Reply to
larwe

No.

Reply to
larwe

C is the only rational choice for embedded systems.

Reply to
larwe

Assembly language is the only rational choice for embedded systems.

Reply to
larwe

Forth is the only rational choice for embedded systems.

Reply to
larwe

Ada is the only rational choice for embedded systems.

Reply to
larwe

Java is the only rational choice for embedded systems.

Reply to
larwe

Now that I've summarized 95% or more of the replies you can expect to get to your homework question, I suggest you go away and research the topic yourself.

Reply to
larwe

Uh, I think you forgot Modula-2, Lewin. I'm sure that someone named Jim G. might say that, anyway. ;)

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Hmm, now we have to do a statistical project to determine if Jim G. counts as >= 5% of c.a.e ;)

Reply to
larwe

National designed a Series 32000 Modula II compiler and I think they had a total of 2 customers worldwide. This was 18 years ago, when Modula 2 was popular.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

Darn. Although I never got a change to do assembly on the 32k parts (32032 was the first of them I got a datasheet for), they sure looked like nice parts. I wish I had a few to do some hobby designs with, if only just to play with the architecture. Speaking of which, seeing those was what got me looking at the 88k. Another processor that looked nice for which I also never coded a single line.

Does anyone know where I might pick up a 32032 or 32016 system just for play (not expensive, in other words?)

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

I was thinking he was a missing part of the 95%. You only got to

94.99%, by my count. ;)

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

You forgoet INTERCAL.

pete

--
pete@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas" - HMHB.
Reply to

AFAIK, Rose Realtime is the only Rational (tm) choice for embedded systems.

Cheers, Alf

Reply to
Alf Katz

C will last a long time because it is a language that is very close to being a standardized structured assembler with sufficient room for compiler implimentors to bring experience and formal optimizations into the tools developers use without taking control away from programers.

C saw rapid evolution in the 90's and early years of this decade. C99/C05 are starting to be seen as the mature languages that they are. It takes about 5 years for a standard to make it into new products in any significant way. C99 responded to the requirements that came from developers experience running applications on multiple platforms and quest fro language convenience. Size specific data types and enhanced macro preprocessing to name two significant changes.

C also reached back to its roots as a language close to the lowest level hardware with the C standards for embedded systems that supports the realities of very small processors and non hosted embedded systems. This standard defines fract and accum data types(fixed point), allows direct access to processor registers including condition codes, recognizes that most embedded sytems have multiple address spaces, and opens the door for support for user defined memory devices and cracks the door for single program support for multiple processors.

Walter Banks Byte Craft Limited

Reply to
Walter Banks

You missed basic , fortran and hdl's.