MPC5200B Startup

I'm filling in for someone who's on vacation on a PowerPC project at a company which I did a previous PowerPC project years ago - but I haven't used the PowerPC since, and this member of the family is new to me.

I have modified the old project's startup to work on the 5200B. The project layout is a three stage one:

Stage 1) BSP initialization, located at physical address 0xFFF00100 on the flash. This stage is very short, does the board bootstrap, copies stage two from Flash to SRAM, and jumps to stage 2 in SRAM

Stage 2) Serial application loader. Hangs around on the serial port for a while, looking for a proprietary protocal. If it comes, stays active for ever, getting commands to erase and burn different parts of the flash (in general, reburning stage 3, the application). If it doesn't come, it copies stage 3 from Flash to SRAM and starts running.

Stage 3) Application code.

Now, under the JTAG I have gotten all three stages working - including the UART and flash updating. The code is located at physical address in the flash, and I can update them.

However, when I disconnect the JTAG, and try to boot the board on its own, nada.

The bootstrap code in stage 1 is pretty much the bootstrap code taken from the evaluation board, with modifications for different chip selects. I can see a little noise coming from the UART, but nothing like what I see when from the JTAG.

Is there anything else I need to know to get this to work?

Reply to
sburck

You might want to pay attention to TRST, I don't remember what sort of issues I had with it > a year ago but I remember I had to look into it. I think the TRST had to be actively driven low and then released, but this is so vague I would not call it a memory.

You can also try to use the monitor found on my website for the 5200 (not yet tested on the 5200B - soon to come, though). If the simplest (no DDR used) version comes out of reset you will know the issue is other than JTAG. This implies serial port 6 can be used by the monitor, however.

Didi