minimum hardware to decode jpg's

Looking for help deciding the least amount of hardware (cost) to be able to
decode JPG's and dsiplay to a color TFT?

Lots of info out there in this but not too much help doing it cheap!

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

Re: minimum hardware to decode jpg's

Anything that can address enough memory to buffer the
images will decode JPG's.  The real question is how
fast and whether you want to and can use preexisting
C libraries.

Re: minimum hardware to decode jpg's
:> Looking for help deciding the least amount of hardware (cost) to be able to
:> decode JPG's and dsiplay to a color TFT?
:>
:> Lots of info out there in this but not too much help doing it cheap!
:
: Anything that can address enough memory to buffer the
: images will decode JPG's.  The real question is how
: fast and whether you want to and can use preexisting
: C libraries.
:

Jim is correct.  If you're looking to do it in software, i recommend you look
at the "Independent JPEG group"'s libjpeg.  It's C and compiles cleanly
on many platforms.

ttyl,

--buddy
--
Remove '.invalid' to email me.

Re: minimum hardware to decode jpg's

Bitter experience tells me that the closest one can get to "cheap" is
"under $400, retail" (and even that is a pretty aggressive target).

If this is for a one-off, which it doesn't seem to be from the tenor
of your message, then repurpose a PDA. If this is for production, then
consider an ARM7 SoC with on-chip LCD controller, such as Sharp
LH79520.

Re: minimum hardware to decode jpg's
The AT76C113 may be a good chip
JPEG compression/decompression
LCD controller
ARM7 core...
Not so expensive in volume but also not for homebrew.
Send me a mail off-line If you want to know more.
(discard the '-'s)

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com