Minimum load current

In the datasheets for regulators does a minimum load current represent the minimum current needed to turn on the regulator?

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

I believe that means the minimum current to have the output voltage within spec.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

For linear regulators, like the 78xx family, it is the minimum current at which the regulator will meet its specifications. How it fails to meet specs at lower currents is unspecified. :-)

In practice, I don't recall ever seeing a 78xx-type regulator that produced an out-of-spec voltage with only a DVM as a load.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI  Vancouver BC, Canada
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca