MCU with IEEE-1394 peripheral ?

Hi,

I have been looking at various options for communicating between a PC and an MCU. The typical peripherals on a PC today is of course USB, Ethernet and one that seems to be mostly forgotten in the embedded word - IEEE-1394. The actual specifications for IEEE-1394 is too expensive for me, so I have been reading what I could find regarding this interface. From a software point of view it looks to be even more trivial than communicating over a standard UART. Orders of magnitude less complex that USB host or ethernet stack with the ability to talk to multiple devices connected to the bus. What ICs do people use to implement IEEE-1394 with MCUs ? I have found some devices from TI, but have been unable to find an MCU with IEEE-1394 built in. Surely someone makes a 51 core with an IEEE-1394 interface ? I'd like to get a feel of how complex it is to get IEEE-1394 comms going between an MCU and a PC (Windows and Linux) compared to USB and Ethernet. Any pointers from people who have done this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Warning, FireWire is considered a moribund standard; eSATA and (soon) USB 3.0 have essentially killed it.

Reply to
larwe

we have used the TSB41BA3 PHY and TSB12LV26 for the LLC, 1394 is a horrific convoluted expensive piece of crap

??????????????????????????????????

Reply to
joepierson

IEEE-1394 is far more involved than a standard UART, and at a guess I'd say it's at least as bad as a host-side USB.

If you get the standard you'll save it all back in less work, so figure how that reflects the amount of work you'll do.

(and, by the way, I like 1394, I just don't harbor any illusions about it).

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

From what little I've read, 1394 seems to be rather similar to SCSI (protocol-wise). Unlike USB, 1394 is peer-to-peer and is "interrupt-driven" rather than being polled like USB. That allows multiple transactions to be done in parallel (pretty much like SCSI).

--
Grant
Reply to

Yes. It's a nice protocol, in its way. It's complex to deal with, but then it's very powerful. I was part of a group that used it very successfully (:-) to transmit video inside of a system; of all of the candidates that we looked at it was the first one to go obsolete :-(.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

What about the MAC ? Apple have invested quite heavily in FireWire and even though it's market share is much lower than USB, there is still a significant number of devices out there. Also I have not seen the latest generation PC chip sets dropping it. Only the very low priced Motherboards do not have IEEE-1394 ports. From my googling efforts it also looks as if the TV / Movie industry level video cameras and support equipment uses IEEE-1394 extensively.

As long as I have a reasonable level of confidence that IEEE-1394 would be available on higher end laptops (Desktops one can add an interface card), then it is another candidate for communicating between a PC and an embedded device. With all the support available foe USB and ethernet, it is not too difficult to get some comms going, but a very different story if one has fairly tight timing for one's own app and the data rate one requires starts being over 50% of the USB or ethernet bandwidth. So I am looking for something where most of the communications overhead and timing is handled by hardware on the embedded side.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

I believe some of the latest Macs do not have 1394 ?

Reply to
drn

Anton Erasmus schrieb:

Well, all 1394 chips I'm aware of need PCI. The easiest way to get an embedded system with 1394 would be a microcontroller with PCI bus, a Linux port and a 1394 controller as a Micro PCI card (like the WLAN cards found in notebooks).

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Dipl.-Ing. Frank-Christian Krügel
Reply to
Frank-Christian Krügel

Apple's removal of FireWire from their latest-generation portables is considered the final nail in the coffin.

Reply to
larwe

The one really unique, compelling use for 1394 was importing video from miniDV (and digital 8) consumer camcorders, and it got that way because USB of the era when these came out did not have the bandwidth for decent video.

A year ago, I was worried about netbooks not having 1394, but at this point most of the camcorders I'd buy to pair with a netbook don't have it either, as they are all going to modern compression schemes and flash media, with USB 2.0 (or just moving the SD card) the new import mechanism.

For implementing your own device, USB 2.0 via something like the cypress family of parts (if you need to move a lot of data without interpreting it) or one of the higher performance cores with USB on it (if you need the device to think about the data) seems the best bet today - well understood, likely to be supported for quite some time yet.

Reply to
cs_posting