Digital Still Camera to PC or Hard Drive in Realtime

Hi, Can anyone point me to some resources on how to connect up the average digital camera to a hard drive or pc in real time instead of having to save the pictures on the compact flash and then transfer them to the pc with a reader or usb?

In my home studio I would like the pictures to go right to a hard drive or pc when I take a shot.

Could I build some kind of cable that plugs into the memory slot and add a custom interface to my pc?

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Jennifer Crandall

Dosen't your camera have a USB or other type of output port built into it? Most cameras do. Otherwise it would be pretty difficult to construct a interface to the memory slot (especially if it was a SD or proprietary interface). You would basically have to construct a USB or IEEE-1394 host circuit to interface the memory slot to either a PC or a USB hard drive, however, you would have to have some code on the PC or HD end to emulate a memory card and create some kind of filesystem. It would be easier to build a camera from scratch with this capability.

Jennifer Crandall wrote:

Reply to
SpyderVeloce

The answer depends on what kind of camera you have. Several Olympus and Canon models have this built in. See eg

where it says "If you want a really convenient and effective way to take indoor table top photos, use the Remote Shooting function. This function allows you to change the camera settings and release the shutter from your PC. And pictures you take this way are saved directly to your PC, so you can enlarge and view your shots immediately on the PC screen". Try the rec.photo.digital group for more comments.

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

If the camera was designed for that function, it is as trivial as connecting the cable and starting the software. If the camera was NOT desgned to do that, it is, for all practical purposes, impossible.

There is no generic answer for "average digital camera" because such a thing doesn't exist.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

Yes, and pigs could fly. But that feature doesn't appear to be implemented at this time.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

This is off-topic for sci.electronics.design. Reply copied to rec.digital.photo Some Pro cameras will do exactly what you want. Software on the PC downloads each shot immediately after it is taken. The Canon remote facility is OK but you control everything from the PC so the camera need to be tripod mounted. I suspect it would not be hard to use standard Windows digital camera features to poll the camera and download and delete each new image as it appears on the flash card. If it can be done there is probably a product out there that does it.

Graham

Reply to
GrahamH

Where would the chip get its power?

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"

Ah, that's where it gets its power; it has an >> "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" wrote ...

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com
Reply to
Bill Funk

"The Sandisk Connect CompactFlash Wi-Fi Card (802.11b card without memory) allows *Laptop and PDA* users freedom to access the Internet, check email, send and receive from any available access points (hotels, airports, coffee shops, conference centers)."

Identify which cameras support file transfer via 802.11b with a card like this. I'd settle for just one. I HAVE seen flying pigs on TV, but it was likely CGI.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

Uhh, yes it does. Was that a pig flying by your window?

Richard Crowley wrote:

Reply to
Mike Berger

Does anyone make a CF card that incorporates WiFi? Seems like it could be very useful.

-Joel

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews:

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

It's not impossible. A CF card could incorporate a WiFi chip. I don't know if anyone manufactures such a thing.

-Joel

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews:

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

No. It has a RAM buffer for the data, and uses the power supplied to the CF slot. The description is that it is 'battery optimised', not that it has a battery fitted. It uses slightly lower power levels than normal for WiFi, but range is quite good (but power consumption rises at longer range). The buffer is small, but can hold a single normal network packet. Several other manufacturers offer similar cards. For instance:

The GSM/GPRS draw just as much power.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

There are WiFI cards that fit in a CF or SD form factor, but cameras don't know how to use them (they are for PDAs -- cameras have the problem that the memory door generally needs to be closed, and the antenna sticks out).

Wi-pics.com makes a CF 'card' that has a wire than connects to a larger unit you wear on a belt that can copy the files to either a disk drive or use 802.11 to copy to a server. It is rather pricy for most users however:

Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
http://www.the-meissners.org
Reply to
Michael Meissner

See my other post about Wi-pics. Also, high end Canon (1D mark2, 1Ds mark 2) and Nikon (D2H, D2X) DSLRs have a unit that plugs into the camera and transfers pictures in the background to a server.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
http://www.the-meissners.org
Reply to
Michael Meissner

This isn't exactly what you're asking for but it may solve your problem:

George Warner