mb-gnutools

Hi everyone,

we have a modified microblaze (mblite) on top of which we added an fpu and everything is implemented in an FPGA. I'm now facing the issue to generate a toolchain for this platform [1] and I have some doubts on how to proceed.

First I'd like to say that I haven't found a single one release from Xilinx that I can potentially rely on. Several Xilinx webpages point to a very sparse and unclear set of releases (tarballs, git repos, binaries, ...).

That said, I came across crosstool-ng, a program that should facilitate the setting up of the toolchain, but I haven't had yet the time to play with it. From the documentation it seems you're guided through a configuration procedure to properly set all the cross-compilation parameters. But in the end how can I validate the toolchain?

Considering the implementation on the fpga might be somewhat buggy, I'd like to avoid using the platform to verify the toolchain. I've read few lines about the Deja Gnu project but it seems a lot of work ahead and a potentially harsh learning curve.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks a lot,

Al

[1] the toolchain is essential to build test programs that would run during fpga simulations (potentially post-layout) to spot any execution problem.
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?