Microprocessor recommendations?

Hi All,

I want to move to something bigger than a Z80/8032/PIC which I use at the moment. I would like about 50 MIPS, 1MByte Flash, 256KByte RAM - possibly all external, integrated ethernet, 2 serial ports, enought DSP capability to do 2 or so channels VOIP, the ability to self program (bootloader) for remote update.

I have looked at ST, Freescale and Rabbit. The rabbit seems to be almost a fit for everything except the VOIP.

Any ideas?

Regards Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

Cirrus EP93xx?

Reply to
Data

Depends how 'new' you want to go. ST have ARM9 devices now, Q1 2007 will see new Flash ARM9 devices from Atmel, and also

The titan 2 from coreriver will give 1/2/4MBytes on Chip flash, and 150MHz speeds.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

In message , Jim Granville writes

Can anyone recommend a cheap ARM9-based demo board with software tools? I'd like to experiment with this chip, play around with it and get an idea about its architecture.

--
 To reply, my gmail address is nojay1              Robert Sneddon
Reply to

Look here ?

or search for the ST ones STR91X

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Analog devices bf537 alot more than 50mips but...

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Then why give up on the Z80? The Rabbit is one at heart, except that they have removed some original opcodes so it won't run any old code.

CBFalconer

Hi Chuck,

The problem with the Z80 is that the current chips only run at 20MHz - the Rabbit will do 60MHz. Also the Rabbit does 2 clocks per instuction and the Z180 is 3 clocks. (Short instructions :))

The application is routing using 8 E1 links. Potentially I see the biggest issue is handling the traffic on the D-channels.

At the moment I am using an 8032 to handle a single E1 but it is all written in assembler using tricks for speed like 256 byte page-alignment for the memory. For ISDN work one really needs 16 bit pointers with 16 bit arithmetic and I would like to migrate the project to C.

I like Lasse's suggestion - maybe a modern DSP is the way to go, it will also provide other features.

Regards Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

The eZ80F91 specs 50MHz; not sure on the clks/opcode.

ADi did decide to cut the flash-chord ontheir fastest devices a couple of years ago, and it has resulted in quite a MHz edge now, in these DSP devices.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Don't know about "with software tools", but there seem to be good free ones for the ARM.

For demo boards, you might look at Olimex. Cheap and effective.

Also, if you're working on a sufficiently project, some companies will give you stuff in hopes of getting a design-in.

--mpa

Reply to
Data

Sorry -- I meant "sufficiently *large* project". Silly Linotype machine ...

--mpa

Reply to
Data

Use a decent 32-bit processor (I'd go for a ColdFire of personal preference) with external memory. 1 MB Flash and 256 K ram is beyond the realm of most integrated devices - you are going to get a lot more power for your money if you can use external memory. Obviously this must be balanced with the space needed, but you then get to choose a processor that fits your needs, and you get a much more flexible system (doubling the memory would cost almost nothing, for example, and a development version with enough ram for all the code would be very useful).

Reply to
David Brown

Hello all,

I work for a company called NetBurner.

NetBurner has a $99 MCF5270 based development kit. It includes a NetBurner Mod5270 Core Module and development board, Eclipse IDE, uC/OS RTOS, TCP/IP stack, web server, C/C++ compiler and linker, flash file system and deployment tools.

The NetBurner Mod5270 module that comes with the kit has 10/100 Ethernet, 47 digital I/O, 3 UARTs, I2C, SPI, four channel DMA, and

16-bit external data bus. The module has an integrated 32-bit 147MHz Freescale ColdFire processor with 512k flash memory, 2MB external SDRAM, four 32-bit timers, watchdog, chip selects, interrupts, and four programmable interrupt timers.

It includes NetBurner's Eclipse IDE so you can write code in ANSI C/C++ within the Eclipse environment, and compile and load it into a NetBurner core module over a network. It also comes with a program called AutoUpdate. Its a tool that is used to download a new code image to a NetBurner device. This update can be done from any point that has network access. Also, the source code is included with the kit so you can make your own customizations for your own application. NetBurner has some videos so you can see it up and running here:

Here are links to their network development kit page, and their online store:

If you still need more flash, NetBurner has the MOD5234, MOD5272 kit with 2MB of flash, 8MB of ram.

Here is their product page:

Chris

Rocky wrote:

Reply to
chris

At bit OT, but I was looking at the SB70 serial to ethernet, so I tried to register to have a look at the forums, but it did not like me as I dont have a product or serial number to log in with

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Hey Martin,

You can join the NetBurner community here:

Also note that the SB70 serial to Ethernet dev. kit is $99 and comes with 3 months of technical support direct from NetBurner. I used the kit to update the SB70 with a custom webpage and filtered incoming serial data before re-transmitting over the network. You can do all of the typical serial to Ethernet setup through the webpage (no programming), but its a pretty simple process to update the HTML using the included NetBurner Eclipse IDE.

Anyway, you can find more details here:

Chris

mart> >

Reply to
chris

The Zilog eZ80F91 runs at 50 MHz, most instructions need two cycles, it runs all Z80 software, and it has a linear 16 MB address space and 24 bit registers.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Frank-Christian Krügel

Reply to
Frank-Christian Kruegel

Please don't top-post. Read the following links.

--
 Some informative links:
Reply to

Got it. Great arguments bottom-posting. :)

Reply to
chris

Good for you. This is why we complain, to educate people who have never used usenet before. When we hit co-operative people like you everybody gains.

CBFalconer

Thanks for the info - I'll look it up.

--Rocky

Reply to