Low cost solution to program Spartan 3AN DSP development board AES-SPEEDWAY-S3ADSP-SK Opzioni

Thanks, I tried both. cblsrv seems to support only:

dlc5 Xilinx Parallel III bb Altera ByteBlaster

When I try using it with iMPACT, it finds no cable.

cblsrv reports:

Cable is 'Xilinx Parallel III (0x378)'

I also tried xilprg, but the DSP FPGA is not in it's list of supported devices.

Reply to
Scott Gravenhorst

I got a response from sales at Digilent. It turns out that this development board is not made by Digilent. The rep said that they were working on updating the Adept software to support the FPGA on it, but it currently does not. So I seem to be running out of luck unless I want to buy the expensive Xilinx cable.

Reply to
Scott Gravenhorst

Nice to hear that they're working on it.

In the meantime, don't they also sell a parallel-port JTAG adapter that's (theoretically) compatible with the Xilinx Parallel Cable III? I bought one a few years back and it worked OK for some things. Fairly inexpensive if I recall.

Eric

Reply to
emeb

I think that's a good idea, I believe I've read that iMPACT supports it. I don't care about slow if that's it's drawback. I'm also waiting for an email from the devboard people at Xilinx regarding what all of my cable options are. If they say it will work on that board, I'll go that route. This is frustrating, I wanna play with my new toy.

Reply to
Scott Gravenhorst

If you mean the Spartan-3E Starter Kit from Xilinx (

) then you should be able to connect your -3A kit to the -3E kit's JTAG chain and use iMPACT.

Henri

Reply to
Henri

Yes, this is as far as I can tell the cable that came in the box with the original spartan 3 kits - a digilent-made board ordered from the xilinx website. In those days you just used impact - I think adept came in when xilinx had their propriety usb supported by impact, and digilent had their own proprietary usb not supported by it.

Reply to
cs_posting

The cblsrv project description mentions the digilent USB cable. When I looked at the source, there's another source file for usb stuff not included in the msvc project (or presumably in the unix style Makefiles). My guess is you'd need to figure out how to include that file in the build.

This could be as simple as making a new entry and putting in the proper valued for the jtag register lengths from the data sheet. Or it could involve additional unpublished parameters (or worse, procedures) derived by experiment - I'm not sure.

Reply to
cs_posting