Lists of SPI interface paripheral chips?

As a follow on to my previous message about building sensors around the MSP430 chip, I'm curious if anybody has a good resource for finding what paripheral/interface chips are available with an SPI interface. The MSP430 can be interfaced with lots of chips through other means, but using the SPI interface is easy and cheap and would allow me to make a "standard sensor" platform with variable interfacing/sensor options just by swapping out which chips are on the SPI bus.

Are there any stand-alone USB interface chips with an SPI interface? I know there are MP3 decoders, all-in-one Ethernet chips, and every kind of physical sensor you can imagine. I'm looking for a nice list of all of the different chips and where to buy them.

Thanks.

Reply to
Dave

Take a look at Cypress FX2 USB chip.

Slavisa Zigic

Dave wrote: : As a follow on to my previous message about building sensors around the : MSP430 chip, I'm curious if anybody has a good resource for finding : what paripheral/interface chips are available with an SPI interface. : The MSP430 can be interfaced with lots of chips through other means, : but using the SPI interface is easy and cheap and would allow me to : make a "standard sensor" platform with variable interfacing/sensor : options just by swapping out which chips are on the SPI bus.

: Are there any stand-alone USB interface chips with an SPI interface? I : know there are MP3 decoders, all-in-one Ethernet chips, and every kind : of physical sensor you can imagine. I'm looking for a nice list of all : of the different chips and where to buy them.

: Thanks.

Reply to
Slavisa Zigic

FTDI produce a nice dual USB to UART/FIFO chip that shuold be able to implement the SPI ( master ) protocol

Reply to
mmm

Just the usual suspects maxim-ic linear st national philips ( tho mainly they focus on i2c )

also, there are the uC with SPI on-board, which can be cheaper than the specific IO expanders, and you can get 24 bit ADCs+uC+SPI, for ~same price as 24bit ADC + SPI ( eg C8051F35x series for high end ADC expansion to your system )

also, CPLDs make very fast/flexible SPI IO expanders/buffers/MUXs

Most uC with USB also have SPI, so small devices like the Silab C8051F32x and C8051F34x are good examples.

Most uC vendors have USB variants, even TI, but at present their USB devices have 80C51 cores....

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

There are way too many to list. Do not forget microwire, it is a compatible variant.

Most (if not all ) 8bit cpu based USB chips have SPI, or can bit bang it. the FDTI USB chip has SPI but does not need to be programed.

Reply to
Neil

Our JTAGkey is based on the FTDI FT2232 and use the MPSSE on-chip core. MPSSE is able to remote JTAG SPI I2C very fastly.

The first ojective of JTAGkey is to remote JTAG from USB but you can remote SPI too. If you want to evaluate the USB-SPI over FT2232, you can get it in 1-2 hours work using our JTAGkey + FTSPI.DLL .

( Also, you will re-use the JTAGkey for any ARM - XSCALE debug using JTAGkey + GNU tools suite )

Goto

Laurent

Neil wrote:

Reply to
Amontec, Larry

Has a nice list of SPI peripheral chips.

Maxim has a spi to usb host max3421e

(It looks interesting, but I haven't used it)

Alan Nishioka

Reply to
Alan Nishioka