how to chose the best embedded board?

Hi

I'm looking for a so-called embedded board to use in vehicle(bus. I'm confused about bunch of keywords: SBC, Car PC, embedded motherboard, computer on module ,....

which keyword should i use and how can i find the best manufacturer of these boards?

Best

Reply to
EmbeddedLotus

I suggest u that keyword, "sbc". I'm working for it, that's great.

about :

mrzenix

embedded PC or embedded computer are OK, you might try M2M, or strings containing 'low power' , 'small form factor', PC 104, etc.

check out

too.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

For vehicle computers, you should include "temperature range" as one additional search phrase, since some boards have quite limited temperature range and thus must be discarded in an early phase of a search.

Power dissipation is also an issue, since in such environment, fanless operation is preferable.

In an environment with lots of vibration, look for the mechanical ruggedness of the whole system. For instance, the PC/104 boards can be firmly stacked together.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

Don't know whether You are aware of the fact that the power supply in a car is very ¨dirty¨, the board You want to install will have to able to handle that (so specifically designed for vehicle use), otherwise You will have to construct filtering stuff Yourself.

Good luck!

Yours sincerely, Rene

Reply to
Rene

Then maybe you shouldn't be looking for such a thing. If you don't know what you want even well enough to know the names people usually call it, odds are practically zero you'll find it. And even those minuscule odds are ruined by you giving people not even a hint of a clue what it actually is you're looking for.

For all you've told us, every single one of the several dozens of embedded electronic boards in a typical current car, from a dumb slave unit driving hardly more than a couple of buttons and lights, to the high-power do-it-all processor sitting in a high-end central entertainment/navigation/display unit, would qualify. But they're all quite completely different, so which of them could you possibly be looking for?

There is no such thing as "the" best of anything, be that manufacturers or embedded board. If there were, all the others would not exist.

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

If you don't know what you need, then it doesn't matter for you which board to take.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

computer on module ,....

You probably need to put some more thought into your requirements, though sometimes window shopping the variety of what is available can help with that thought process.

Some of the questions you should be thinking about:

- Are you making one or two for yourself, for a proof of concept prototype, or are you beginning what will be a production design?

- How complicated is your task? Do you plan to write most everything from scratch, or leverage an existing code base?

- Do you need to be able PC compatible? At binary level, source level keeping same operating system calls, or just having comparable services such that it's generally possible to write a program that can be tested on a PC and also compiled with some moderate #ifdef'ing to work on your embedded board.

- Do you have real time requirements? If so, what kind of latency can you tolerate?

- What kind of external I/O do you need? A/D's? CAN? RS232? Wifi? Bluetooth? Relay drivers?

- What are you willing to spend on development tools, both hardware and software, and what kind of portability restrictions (dongles or host locking) will you accept on compilers? I have one embedded chip that requires a $1200 programmer ($1800 if your laptop only has USB), another that uses GCC and a serial port (jtag is possible but I have never needed it as the mask boot rom understands serial), and does work with a USB/serial converter too.

- What others have already pointed out about vehicle power supplies & termperature

Reply to
cs_posting