USB host controller recomendation

Hi, I need to know which USB host controller chip will work with
isochronous USB data transfer

Re: USB host controller recomendation

What sort of host interface do you have in mind?  You need to give more
information about your target system and requirements.  For example, do
you need high-speed (480Mbps) or full-speed (12Mbps)?

    Andrew

Re: USB host controller recomendation
speed but at the end the host needs to work at full speed, the idea is make
any high speed USB webcam to work at full speed

Re: USB host controller recomendation

The other question is what software are you going to use to control the
chip.  Writing a USB host stack is non trivial.  An NXP ISP1761 is a
reasonable chip that supports all types of endpoint for which a Linux
driver is available.

    Andrew

Re: USB host controller recomendation
full

make

Microsoft* operating system at all

Re: USB host controller recomendation

Practically all such embedded devices have an operating system,
embedded Linux, etc.

Re: USB host controller recomendation
In message < snipped-for-privacy@d34g2000vbm.googlegroup

You mean most of the ones you know... not all of them do. In fact most
don't.

In any event you probably want something a lot smaller than Linux.
Besides the GPL license may be prohibitive.

The first question is surely what is the hardware do you have now? What
are you used to and what is the application domain?

Re: USB host controller recomendation

If you mean what I think you mean, then my only rational reply is
"Bollocks". All of them have an operating system (or do you buy
appliances with an SDK and roll your own?). I admit I could have
listed a few more there but the point is that nobody with a quarter-
share of sanity or more would handroll a proprietary RTOS and write
his own USB host-side drivers. Life's too short, and there are just
too many good sources of the requisite IP.

Re: USB host controller recomendation
system, =

The idea is that this hardware can be left outdoor, no human or computer
interactions, that's needs to be embedded.
What kinf od devices do you have in mind, please tell me make and model,
thanks again

Re: USB host controller recomendation
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

So you will use a web camera to grab single frame or much reduced
frame rate?

Re: USB host controller recomendation
full
make

That's right a will use the USB webcam to grab only one frame every
certain time, do you have a maker and model.
Thanks

Re: USB host controller recomendation
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

There are lots of camera chips/sensors/modules/web cameras out there
without knowing things like

    Resolution pixels
    Resolution colour depth 8/16/24/32/36.. bits per pixel
    Minimum light level
    Maximum light level
    Temperature range

Note if you have said this is an OUTDOOR camera, then MOST of the
web cameras are for INDOOR use and will fail due to temperature
and moisture extremes.

I think beyond guessing, without knowing your FULL requirements
areas of the world for manufacture and sale, let alone target pricing
it would be impossible to suggest a camera.

Doing a full search as far as I am concerned is what everyone PAYS me
to do.

I do not do work for people with only a hotmail email address as most
are students or chancers when it comes to this sort of work.

Re: USB host controller recomendation
full

make

Hi Mr Carperter, do you have any IDE about a maker and model of this USB
host controllers

Re: USB host controller recomendation
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Have tried google for "USB host controller"

Most will be PCI based Intel, Via.......

Re: USB host controller recomendation

In micro world, PIC, AVR, Blackfin, etc.

We will have an AVR based prototype soon.

http://innix.com/atusb

This is an usb host/device/otg interface module based on the Atmel
at90usb647/1287 chip. All 28 i/o lines are routed to a dual row 0.1"
header for quick connection to standard prototype boards.

Re: USB host controller recomendation
In message < snipped-for-privacy@a37g2000prf.googlegroup

(Don't use PIC)

Arm, cortex, 8051, coldfire in fact most now have USB and there are many
stacks available that work without an RTOS.

Don't use Linux you don't need it.

Re: USB host controller recomendation
full

make

Yes I will use the USB webcam to grab a single frame after certain time,
do you have any make and model device to achieve this task.

Thanks

Re: USB host controller recomendation
full
make
Microsoft* operating system at all

Re: USB host controller recomendation
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Any GOOD USB 2.0 web camera would do this ALREADY, without having to
do anything else. I.E. the high speed USB 2.0 camera will only go as fast
as the host/hub it is connected will allow. That is if the host or hub is
USB 1.1 full speed (12Mbps), that is as fast as it will go.

If you need to force 12Mbps for USB loading on USB 2.0 because of other
USB devices, get a USB 1.1 hub chip (I believe even www.FTDIchip.com
might still make one). Make your own or buy second hand USB 1.1 hub and
put it between the host and web camera, it will be a small board.

I do not see why you need to put something in the middle as it won't help
for the fact your frame rate will be much, much, much slower at full
speed. It will take longer to transfer a single frame.

If you are trying to get the same high speed (480Mbps) frame rate, but
run at full speed (12Mbps), you need a LOT of memory IN THE CAMERA, and
only be able to do it for a short burst.

Well good luck making your own form of USB stack, however written it is
still a USB stack as the enumeration and other paraphenalia has to
still be done to negotiate with the camera.

Re: USB host controller recomendation

There are quite a lot of USB stacks that work without an RTOS.