mask sterilization

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/08/200806164654.htm

https://youtu.be/o7-k0EIR0To

The University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign study found that 50
minutes of dry heat in an electric cooker, such as a rice cooker or
Instant Pot, decontaminated N95 respirators inside and out while
maintaining their filtration and fit. This could enable wearers to
safely reuse limited supplies of the respirators, originally intended
to be one-time-use items.

Led by civil and environmental engineering professors Thanh "Helen"
Nguyen and Vishal Verma, the researchers published their findings in
the journal Environmental Science and Technology Letters.

They verified that one cooking cycle, which maintains the contents of
the cooker at around 100 degrees Celsius or 212 Fahrenheit for 50
minutes, decontaminated the masks, inside and out, from four different
classes of virus, including a coronavirus -- and did so more
effectively than ultraviolet light. Then, they tested the filtration
and fit.

"We built a chamber in my aerosol-testing lab specifically to look at
the filtration of the N95 respirators, and measured particles going
through it," Verma said. "The respirators maintained their filtration
capacity of more than 95% and kept their fit, still properly seated on
the wearer's face, even after 20 cycles of decontamination in the
electric cooker."

The researchers created a video demonstrating the method. They note
that the heat must be dry heat -- no water added to the cooker, the
temperature should be maintained at 100 degrees Celsius for 50 minutes
and a small towel should cover the bottom of the cooker to keep any
part of the respirator from coming into direct contact with the
heating element. However, multiple masks can be stacked to fit inside
the cooker at the same time, Nguyen said.

The researchers see potential for the electric-cooker method to be
useful for health care workers and first responders, especially those
in smaller clinics or hospitals that do not have access to large-scale
heat sanitization equipment. In addition, it may be useful for others
who may have an N95 respirator at home -- for example, from a
pre-pandemic home-improvement project -- and wish to reuse it, Nguyen
said.

The Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of
Agriculture supported this work.

RL

Re: mask sterilization

It does seem like very old news that heat kills bacteria and viruses
and bugs, and that two Federal agencies paid to rediscover it now.

Science teaches us to doubt.

Re: mask sterilization

Is there anything done to fight this virus that you don't complain about?  You whine about people insulting you, but you insult the intelligence of everyone in this group every day!

You remind me of Wayne and Wendy Whiner.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: mask sterilization
On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 09:25:39 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com

<snip>

The news was: safe mask restoration; without damage; x20 times; using
common hardware; and simple thermometer control.

You can do it.

RL

Re: mask sterilization

 [...]

The news is that the heat does not kill the masks

--
  Jasen.

Re: mask sterilization
On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 23:36:15 -0000 (UTC), Jasen Betts

Seems to me that this could have been done 5 months ago with less
drama.

Re: mask sterilization
I posted it here ages ago--an interview with the guy that invented the
N95 mask, who said that an hour at 160F was enough and wouldn't depole
the mask even after 30 or more iterations.

He also said that you can wash them with water but _not_ with
alcohol--apparently the surface energy keeps the water out of the
electret, but alcohol gets in and the charge dissipates.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

.
Thermostat with NTC thermistor in a box with a 100W incandescent bulb
as a heater.

The problem is mostly over here- about 96% of cases are resolved
one way or the other, but there's a persistent drip of 50-100 new cases
per day out of almost 15,000,000 people in Ontario.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Re: mask sterilization

Seems to me we could have/should have done a lot of things five months ago.
  Even better would have been to have done something 45 months ago.  We cou
ld have been one of the countries with nearly no remaining infections now a
nd wondering why all the other countries are having such a hard time dealin
g with this disease.

Instead we are objects of the world's ridicule and disdain, being the epice
nter of the pandemic.  We are going to be outcasts in the world economy wit
h travel restrictions.  I've read that trying to use a US passport is becom
ing a reason to be denied entry to countries that actually have managed thi
s disease.

Make America Great Again.

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: mask sterilization
On Friday, 14 August 2020 at 17:57:38 UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:

You mean like this from the beginning of April?

https://news.stonybrook.edu/sb_medicine/dry-heat-ovens-can-effectively-disi
nfect-n95-masks/

Or this in February:

"On February 9th 2020, Fudan University Shanghai Medical College, Ministry
of Education / Medical Molecular Virology Laboratory of Health Committee an
d School of Public Health together published a scientific research paper "E
xperimental research on safe and rapid regeneration of disposable medical m
asks". It was published in the Journal of Microbiology and Infection online
 version. The research paper confirmed that disposable medical masks could
be disinfected by using following method: After using the mask, it can be w
rapped with household fresh-keeping bags and treated with household electri
c hair dryer for 30 minutes. After that it can be used again. This method d
oesn?t affect masks original filter retention effect, and the conta
minated viruses are inactivated!"

kw

Re: mask sterilization

Ah, some ChiCom guys with a hair dryer say it's okay.  I feel so
reassured. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Another advantage of this report is that it
examines particle filtering effectiveness, not
just 'fit' - and as you say, from a local
source, referencing an actual temperature-
controlled device of common use.

If you want it from some white with the right
party button on his lab coat, however, you'll
have to wait.

RL

Re: mask sterilization

That was entirely uncalled-for.  I'd like an apology.

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

My aplogies.

What part of ChiCom did I misunderstand?

RL

Re: mask sterilization

The 'Com" part.

The CCP has done a brilliant branding job, identifying themselves--in
reality brutal communist oppressors--in the Western popular mind with
the Chinese people.  More recently they've extended that success outside
their own borders, to fuse themselves in the Western mind with the
entire "Chinese race", whatever that is, exactly.  (Ask our own Edward
how he feels about that.)

With the crackdown that has been going on for the last couple of years
at least, nobody over there raises a peep that the CCP might frown on.
They've enslaved the Tibetans and the Uighurs and got away with it.

They've now decided they're strong enough to get away even with
extinguishing the remaining liberties of the very brave people of Hong Kong.

May God deliver their victims.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
inistry of Education / Medical Molecular Virology Laboratory of Health Comm
ittee and School of Public Health together published a scientific research
paper "Experimental research on safe and rapid regeneration of disposable m
edical masks". It was published in the Journal of Microbiology and Infectio
n online version. The research paper confirmed that disposable medical mask
s could be disinfected by using following method: After using the mask, it
can be wrapped with household fresh-keeping bags and treated with household
 electric hair dryer for 30 minutes. After that it can be used again. This
method doesn?t affect masks original filter retention effect, and t
he contaminated viruses are inactivated!"

ng.

I find myself mostly confused by our dealings with
China. (All administrations, starting ~ with Clinton.)
  I wish for a return of manufacturing to this
country... that comes with pollution that has to be
dealt with. (paid for.)

George H.
Who wears his mask (bandanna) mostly to protect other
people (shoppers) if I happen to be sick and don't
know it.  Bandanna's get washed then dried like other
clothes.  Someone could sell a UV light source that
stuck on your dryer door.

Re: mask sterilization
 Ministry of Education / Medical Molecular Virology Laboratory of Health Co
mmittee and School of Public Health together published a scientific researc
h paper "Experimental research on safe and rapid regeneration of disposable
 medical masks". It was published in the Journal of Microbiology and Infect
ion online version. The research paper confirmed that disposable medical ma
sks could be disinfected by using following method: After using the mask, i
t can be wrapped with household fresh-keeping bags and treated with househo
ld electric hair dryer for 30 minutes. After that it can be used again. Thi
s method doesn?t affect masks original filter retention effect, and
 the contaminated viruses are inactivated!"

Kong.

Why, do you wish to degrade the fibers of your clothes?  Anything that goes
 through a laundry wash cycle is already free of the coronavirus.  In case
you missed the word, soap and water are the most effective killing agents f
or this virus.  It is recommended above alcohol, but is not practical for f
requent use or in locations without water.  In both cases you need to use i
t for an extended time.  People seldom wash their hands for a long enough t
ime and most alcohol based hand cleaners are really just token efforts used
 like it was just hand lotion rather than trying to kill anything.

There is no point in adding a UV light to anything in your household.  UV i
s way down the list for killing viruses effectively unless it is for treati
ng water.  Even there I'm pretty sure it is more effective on the bacteria.

No need to bother with UV at all.

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: mask sterilization
ess
e, Ministry of Education / Medical Molecular Virology Laboratory of Health
Committee and School of Public Health together published a scientific resea
rch paper "Experimental research on safe and rapid regeneration of disposab
le medical masks". It was published in the Journal of Microbiology and Infe
ction online version. The research paper confirmed that disposable medical
masks could be disinfected by using following method: After using the mask,
 it can be wrapped with household fresh-keeping bags and treated with house
hold electric hair dryer for 30 minutes. After that it can be used again. T
his method doesn?t affect masks original filter retention effect, a
nd the contaminated viruses are inactivated!"

ide
.
g Kong.
es through a laundry wash cycle is already free of the coronavirus.  In cas
e you missed the word, soap and water are the most effective killing agents
 for this virus.  It is recommended above alcohol, but is not practical for
 frequent use or in locations without water.  In both cases you need to use
 it for an extended time.  People seldom wash their hands for a long enough
 time and most alcohol based hand cleaners are really just token efforts us
ed like it was just hand lotion rather than trying to kill anything.
 is way down the list for killing viruses effectively unless it is for trea
ting water.  Even there I'm pretty sure it is more effective on the bacteri
a.

I didn't say the UV light was needed, only that someone could
sell such a thing.

GH

Re: mask sterilization

God is too busy delivering the USA into the hands of a far more brutal
tyrant, one who has much less thought of the long-term welfare of the
populace than CCP does.

Re: mask sterilization

utside

ward

Kamala Harris' webpage (memoryholed; you have to dig through the
internet archives to find it) does indeed envision her an American
Hugoette Chavez, who nationalizes people's property and choices,
grants largess and indulgences and strips liberties arbitrarily,
without the consent of the elected representatives of the People
(and even over their opposition).

Of course that's illegal in the American system--that's a dictator.

Her pages remind me exactly of Robert Mugabee, whose rants I heard
from but a stone's throw away in a neighboring country.

The media hate President Trump because our left has always filled
themselves with tribal hate, since at least Gerold Ford.  But the
man himself has been an excellent when it comes to liberty, prosperity,
and opportunity for all, with wonderful results.

When Kamala praises the Burn, Loot, and Murder movement she thinks
she's gaining virtue-signalling points, but for most Americans it's
a hard-logic turn-off.

People want jobs, not mobs, and mobs are all Kamala has to offer.

Cheers,
James Arthur

Site Timeline