mask sterilization

The University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign study found that 50 minutes of dry heat in an electric cooker, such as a rice cooker or Instant Pot, decontaminated N95 respirators inside and out while maintaining their filtration and fit. This could enable wearers to safely reuse limited supplies of the respirators, originally intended to be one-time-use items.

Led by civil and environmental engineering professors Thanh "Helen" Nguyen and Vishal Verma, the researchers published their findings in the journal Environmental Science and Technology Letters.

They verified that one cooking cycle, which maintains the contents of the cooker at around 100 degrees Celsius or 212 Fahrenheit for 50 minutes, decontaminated the masks, inside and out, from four different classes of virus, including a coronavirus -- and did so more effectively than ultraviolet light. Then, they tested the filtration and fit.

"We built a chamber in my aerosol-testing lab specifically to look at the filtration of the N95 respirators, and measured particles going through it," Verma said. "The respirators maintained their filtration capacity of more than 95% and kept their fit, still properly seated on the wearer's face, even after 20 cycles of decontamination in the electric cooker."

The researchers created a video demonstrating the method. They note that the heat must be dry heat -- no water added to the cooker, the temperature should be maintained at 100 degrees Celsius for 50 minutes and a small towel should cover the bottom of the cooker to keep any part of the respirator from coming into direct contact with the heating element. However, multiple masks can be stacked to fit inside the cooker at the same time, Nguyen said.

The researchers see potential for the electric-cooker method to be useful for health care workers and first responders, especially those in smaller clinics or hospitals that do not have access to large-scale heat sanitization equipment. In addition, it may be useful for others who may have an N95 respirator at home -- for example, from a pre-pandemic home-improvement project -- and wish to reuse it, Nguyen said.

The Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Agriculture supported this work.

RL

Reply to
legg

It does seem like very old news that heat kills bacteria and viruses and bugs, and that two Federal agencies paid to rediscover it now.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Is there anything done to fight this virus that you don't complain about? You whine about people insulting you, but you insult the intelligence of everyone in this group every day!

You remind me of Wayne and Wendy Whiner.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

The Air Force conducted some tests back in 2012 using microwave ovens. N95 masks were sterilized with a 93% success rate after two minutes.

The University of Illinois developed a method using microwave ovens. It was financed by the Jump ARCHES endowment, whatever that is. $30,000.

A search for n95 respirator, microwave oven turned up a couple more. Maybe that Pat Pending guy beat the Feds to it.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I assume these were N95 masks without valves. I'm not sure, but even if the melting point of the plastic used for the valve (PE? PP?) is above

distortion in the valve, perhaps preventing it closing properly?

--

Jeff
Reply to

The news was: safe mask restoration; without damage; x20 times; using common hardware; and simple thermometer control.

You can do it.

RL

Reply to
legg

It's been tested extensively by the medical community, and 100 C is safe.

The best way is an ordinary closed-top steamer pot used for cooking vegetables, so the mask is exposed to water vapor at 100 C, which will cook anything, however small. Ten minutes at 100 C is plenty.

One can measure the vapor temperature if there is a vent hole large enough to allow a thermometer probe to sample the vapor. It should show exactly 100 C, to the accuracy of the probe.

Microwaves don't work at all if the mask is dry - EM coupling to a

100-micron virus particle is too low. A steamer is simpler.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Viruses are NOT alive so you cannot kill them. You have to deconstruct them.

Alcohol and water are best for deconstruction as they break down the virus structure.

So a cooker with some 120 proof (60%) booze (alcohol and water) steam seems best for a virus.

Ethyl at 60% ISO-propyl at 70%

Reply to
aioe

[...]

The news is that the heat does not kill the masks

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

It's NOT old news, because this doesn't kill everything; it's newly tested against the coronavirus class, however, and that means I can consider a decontamination by kitchen appliance of my cloth mask, rather than running a laundry load.

For general hospital use, it's still necessary to use autoclaves and such.

Reply to
whit3rd

Seems to me that this could have been done 5 months ago with less drama.

I posted it here ages ago--an interview with the guy that invented the N95 mask, who said that an hour at 160F was enough and wouldn't depole the mask even after 30 or more iterations.

He also said that you can wash them with water but _not_ with alcohol--apparently the surface energy keeps the water out of the electret, but alcohol gets in and the charge dissipates.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

No. Just follow the instructions.

KISS

RL

Reply to
legg

No. No water, if you want the mask to still function.

Read the article. Follow the instructions.

KISS

RL

Reply to
legg

. Thermostat with NTC thermistor in a box with a 100W incandescent bulb as a heater.

The problem is mostly over here- about 96% of cases are resolved one way or the other, but there's a persistent drip of 50-100 new cases per day out of almost 15,000,000 people in Ontario.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
speff

The big surprise here is more that 100C of dry heat is sufficient to kill the coronavirus. There are plenty of things that can withstand quite a bit more than that of dry heat and still remain infective.

They usually autoclave medical kit in high pressure steam to sterilise it for a very good reason (and even that is insufficient against prions).

Regards,
Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown

There is no liquid water in water vapor at 100 C.

Water vapor (aka, steam at atmospheric pressure) is not a problem.

Note that we are not talking about the visible cloud over a teapot - that is water mist (or you could not see it), and not nearly hot enough.

As others have said, even liquid water is not a problem, but alcohol ruins N95 masks.

There are many sets of instructions floating around. Many are correct, or correct enough. And some are nonsense.

Hard to beat a steamer pot for simplicity. And many people already have one.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

ome

Thereby exposing the wearer to the virus that his mask exposes everyone els e to?

Great idea!

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

some

"the heat must be dry heat -- no water added to the cooker"

So not vapor, air temperature. The only water vapor is the moisture alread y in the air. The report is about using a pressure cooker.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

Seems to me we could have/should have done a lot of things five months ago. Even better would have been to have done something 45 months ago. We cou ld have been one of the countries with nearly no remaining infections now a nd wondering why all the other countries are having such a hard time dealin g with this disease.

Instead we are objects of the world's ridicule and disdain, being the epice nter of the pandemic. We are going to be outcasts in the world economy wit h travel restrictions. I've read that trying to use a US passport is becom ing a reason to be denied entry to countries that actually have managed thi s disease.

Make America Great Again.

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricketty C