Help in Building car computer.

Hello I am going to build a car pc . The machine will provide multi-media capabilities, wifi, mobile telephony, am/fm/tv reception and fm transmission. Picture and video capture, audio recording and basic computing using openoffice.org. I am on initial stage of that project. I have decided to use Embedded Linux as operating system as it is opensource os.

I have no intension to develop driver program for wifi, mobile telephony, am/fm tv reception and transmission if open source driver is available. Can anyone suggest any open source linux which has that drivers.

Moreover I have chosen VoomPc for hardware platform. Can anyone suggest better hardware platform that VoomPc?

Thanks in advance Nasif

Reply to
nasif4003

The VoomPC is a good choice, *unless* you need a video card, sound card, etc. that won't fit. I advise building and testing the system in a $10 case and later packaging it for automotive use.

Further advice:

Buy the book _Linux Multimedia Hacks_.

Join the Linux Multimedia forum.

Linux distributions are free, so you can try several.

Here are my suggestions in the order you should try them.

Ubuntu Multimedia Center

dyne:bolic

PCLinuxOS

StartCom MultiMedia Linux