Hardware to test (FPGA-based) prototype?

I have an FPGA-based prototype for a PCI product in development. Since the intended product application will involve very high speed data transfers, we have designed all the I/O and internal busses in the FPGA to work on synchronous protocols. Now, however, I'm running into a real stumbling block.

The problem is in testing the board. What I need to do is to be able to generate some test data on a PC, and send it to the FPGA, simulating data flow through the system under test. Similarly, the PC needs to be able to receive test data from the FPGA. Because of the design of the board, I need to use a synchronous, hardware-based protocol and interface to transfer the data.

However, there doesn't seem to be much hardware out there that will enable me to do this, at least not at reasonable cost. All I need to do is dump bitstreams in either direction, synchronously, but I have met with little success. We made an abortive effort to use LabView together with their DIO-

32HS, which seemed promising and (supposedly) offered a high-speed synchronous protocol, but when we tried to use it, the protocol didn't work, we couldn't make it work, and apparently nobody at National Instruments had tried using that protocol and gotten it to work. Indeed, I saw others posting on the Labview NG, running into the same problems! So that's not an option.

So, what would be the easiest way to create a test interface that lets us transfer data using a synchronous protocol at reasonable speeds (at least

10 MHz) between a PC and a device under test? Our prototype board has no shortage of high-speed, MICTOR connectors that we can use to interface to. We're willing to spend some dollars to do it, but if it starts escalating into the thousands of dollars just to get a simple test interface, I think that such a price is disproportionate relative to what we need to achieve. So I think a fair budget limit is around $2000. Any suggestions?
--
Alex Rast
ad.rast.7@nwnotlink.NOSPAM.com

"A ... protocol" meaning exactly _what_? I'm quite sure you don't just need some random protocol. You need a piece of hardware and software that generates and read _exactly_ that protocol your device under test uses. Regarding which you completely forgot to tell your readers what that protocol actually is. From what you wrote, it might well be some completely non-standard homegrown thing. If so, you're obviously on your own --- oughtta have thought of that aspect, before you designed that protocol into your hardware. Now you're stuck with what you have.

Odds are you'll have to build your test harness yourself, in this case. Software alone won't do (not at 10Mhz on an ordinary PC...), and a test pulse generator inside the budget limit you gave probably won't be flexible enough for your needs.

... synchronous to what?

What you would need is essentially the opposite thing to a logic analyzer or storage scope: a fully programmable logic signal generator. Where a LA or storage scope has programmable triggers and logs its results to an internal buffer for later retrieval, you need a device that has programmable output triggering to output signals stored in an internal buffer.

To build one yourself, you'll probably need an FPGA board about equally complicated as the one you're testing.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

Alex,

It sounds like you'd be best using another of your boards as a test source as Hal suggested.

If you want to use completely independant hardware to verify the operation of your board you could try using one of my Cyclone based PCI evaluation boards. See the Hardware page of my web site below.

Nial Stewart

------------------------------------------------ Nial Stewart Developments Ltd FPGA and High Speed Digital Design Cyclone based 'Easy PCI' eval board

Nial Stewart

... synchronous to what?

Moral: Don't design hardware without first thinking about testing it. Or at least enough of it :-) I learned that the hard way a long time ago, by building a marvelous device that we could never replicate. Each phase had been driven by a test jig, which was replaced by the next part of the real device. The final had no jigs, and no way to prod it.

However I don't think it is quite as bad as you say. Nearly, but not quite. He will need some sort of hardware fifo, with dual ports, and a way of loading it from a pc. He probably also needs the synchronous interface module to unload the fifo, which may be another of his systems.

He could start with something that continuously unloads one simple pattern.

     USE worldnet address!
Reply to
CBFalconer

I had a National Intsruments HS32 board too. Even though it appears to offer half a dozend protocols, none worked for us. The protocols worked, but we were unable to use them to our hardware. The support of NI was (well they tried but to no avail) lacking. Their forums aren't that supportive and very slow.

I'd suggest to use a second of your boards. You don't need its PCI interface, just reload some other firmware into the FPGA to let it act as pattern generator. If you don't happen to have a second board, you may let us know what FPGA with what interface you wish to use. One may have a spare board.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Actually, we can pretty much indeed use any protocol, as long as it's synchronous (i.e. uses a continuous clock signal to time transactions) That's the nice thing about an FPGA - it's reconfigurable. I designed an internal test port that on the one side has the interface to our bus inside the FPGA, and on the other side has an interface to whatever test fixture we decided to use. The external interface is interchangeable, so we can devise it to suit a wide variety of possible protocols.

We did think very long and hard about testing, and had several meetings where we really examined the design carefully, with a view to testability. But there's also the side of that your board needs to do what it needs to do. There's not much good designing a highly testable board that doesn't perform the task you're designing it for. It does seem to me that the available testing options for high-speed, synchronous interfaces are very few and far between. The option that people have been recommending, of putting another identical board in our system to use as a test interface, is one I thought about and I think, with the consensus being that this is the best way to go, is what I'll do. Is this, then, the typical way people test high-speed cards and interfaces? I'm quite surprised that there aren't more testing/prototype systems available for these kinds of hardware, which must surely be extremely common.

--
Alex Rast
ad.rast.7@nwnotlink.NOSPAM.com
Alex Rast

You could try to obtain a used DAS9200 or TLA510 system with a pattern generator board (these generate patterns based on a 50MHz clock). These systems are for sale on Ebay every now and then.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Or you can rent these things from companies like ElectroRent IIRC or GE or whatever. They are not that difficult to use, we used to have a HP PG on the network to download files into ram and that would throw the pattern at your HW. The matching HP LA would observe the results and get it back onto the network.

The only issue I had was the memory buffers were very small relative to PC memory and the bus widths were too narrow, kinda dinasours by todays std.

An FPGA just calls out to be used as an PG+LA in a box to custom spec, but thats another project. Or just use one of the ready made boards withs lots of IO and onboard ram.

johnjakson_usa_com

Reply to
john jakson