More government spying

Here you go, Jim. Enjoy....

Julian Barnes

Oh, man! I'm terribly concerned... NOT! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

So why is the presenter trying to scare me instead of enrage me?

While we're at it, this has been known for a number of years now (an entire decade*, to be precise) and has also been rather thoroughly investigated.

Some detail about the implementation (selected, there's more):

  • - WTF? It feels like it was yesterday when I fist found out about this. My God, am I getting old!
Reply to
Aleksandar Kuktin

Old news. Inserted allegedly to combat currency counterfeiting.

Take a few monochrome photocopies at the convenience store wearing gloves if you really need to remain anonymous- or just cut the letters out of magazines and paste them down.

Maybe pulling the yellow cartridge would work if the printer will still print with a cartridge missing. ;-)

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Not all printers have these watermarks. Monochrome printers, I believe, are safe. Some color printers as well. Dot matrix as well, if you can manage to assert plausible deniability (a matrix printed contraband magazine is circulating around and you are the only person with a matrix printer in a 50-mile radius: not suspicious at all :) ).

Reply to
Aleksandar Kuktin

On Dec 27, 2015, Aleksandar Kuktin wrote (in article ):

The original reason to build serial and date into color laser printouts was to control counterfeiting of currency. There were lots of articles about this ten or so years ago. The Feds wanted everybody to know that this was not going to be as easy as it looked.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn