FTDI FT232BM

Hi, i'm new in using FTDI FT232BM. Currently, i'm want to send bulk o information from micro-controller to PC using USB. I've built a boar and the device is connected to my pc usb port My PC is able to detect the chip but i couldn't install the drive which i downloaded from FTDI website My PC detects it as Unknown Device Is it necessary to program the eeprom first Anyone could help me

Thanks.

Reply to
Zerocool

No. if the eeprom is not programmed, the device has a PID of 6001 and will work with the provided drivers from the FTDI website. I have seen with our products that if the PC sees an unknown device, there was always a problem with the connection to the (even empty) eeprom.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

"Zerocool" schreef in bericht news:msGdncfI5qhoFKffRVn snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

To be able to program the EEPROM, the device has be installed properly before MPROG recognizes it. Have you followed the datasheet? You did not forget the 1K5 resistor from the D+ line to /RSTOUT? Also the two resistors on the EEPROM? Does it oscillate at 6MHz?

Jeroen

Reply to
Jeroen

Am Fri, 18 Mar 2005 01:57:41 -0600 schrieb Zerocool:

Try to install the driver with disconnected EEPROM...

Reply to
Alexander Peter

If the eeprom already has something in it this may be confusing things. If the eeprom is blank, it could be that you already have a part-installation from another FTDI device. Shorts on the EEPROM lines can make it do VERY strange things.

The setup should be one of the following : a) blank or no eeprom, using drivers as-is b) eeprom programmed with a VID/PID using MPROG, and the driver .inf files modified as described in the Mprog online help to reflect the changed VID/PID. (you can make up a PID for experimentation, FTDI will allocate you one for production if you ask them).

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Hi Zerocool,

I don't know enough about the chip, but AFAIK there are many usb devices, that should not connected to the pc, bevore installing the driver for it. Take a look in the readme.

HTH Michael

--
Die eMail passt, und wer nicht spamt, kommt auch durch.
Gelesen wird jedoch nur ab und zu.

AFAIK any device may be connected to a PC running windows. Windows will then

*always* ask for drivers.

Anyway, the FTDI chips work that way. There is no installation program that allows you to pre-install. just plug in the device and windows does the rest (ask you for a disk or location).

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

This is just a recommendation that comes with some products to simplify installation. If the application software is installed first, it can install drivers so Windoze finds and installs them automagically when the device is plugged in instead of asking the user where to find them (and they may be buried in a compressed install file).

Reply to
Mike Harrison

You could make an install package for your application that included the FTDI drivers, using a custom PID, so they were installed ready for when the user plugs the device in,

Reply to
Mike Harrison

then

that

rest

FTDI drivers, using a

device in,

That is correct.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

Hi Meindert,

You are right, M$ suggest this as the only way. But some developers making obscure things, so there devices will only work, if you are "installed" somewhat from there driver cd, before the 1st connect. Otherwise you have lost. In the past, I had seen some samples (scanner, mouses ...) with my own eyes.

Thanks, for information. I don't know enough about the chip, it was only my 1st idea.

Michael

--
Die eMail passt, und wer nicht spamt, kommt auch durch.
Gelesen wird jedoch nur ab und zu.
Reply to
Michael Lange

thanks for all advic i replaced a new IC and it works.. thank yo

Reply to
Zerocool