Found: The perfect dev board

I think I just found the motherload here....

Im a computer scientist whos just beginning to get into EE as a hobby and have been looking for development boards for quite sometime.

I don't know much about embedded programming or EE in general, but its something im willing to explore.

I've been looking for the perfect board, one that has ethernet, usb interface... some other nice features etc.

I recently came across MAKEs controller kit found here:

It had everything I needed for the price of 150. I kept searching though.

Today I just stumbled across the SAM7-EX256 board from olimex:

Isn't this guy unbelievable. It even has a TFT display and a speaker....

Is this some kind of trick, or did I just find heaven here? Does anyone else have this board and can comment? I'm 20 seconds away from buying this.... Its everything i've been looking for. What do you guys think? Should I buy it?

Reply to
someprogr

Also, do you guys think its going to be hard to get development papers for this? Where would I even get them?

Reply to
someprogr

Generally, for dev boards you'll need to get the individual component data sheets from their respective manufacturers. Just hitting google with the part number and filetype:pdf is often sufficient, though.

Reply to
Rich Webb

Not got that board, but have had other stuff from Olimex - I'm sure it is fine - buy it!

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Depending on what you are planning to do, you might also want to consider an FPGA development board. This would allow you to experiment with FPGA-based processors, like the Xilinx Microblaze or Altera Nios II. As a software person, I find it quite enjoyable and rewarding to create a microprocessor-based system and then write the software for it. With just a bit of hardware and VHDL knowledge, I've been able to do a couple of simple FPGA projects working only with the board designer (no VHDL engineer needed). The tools are that good.

Reply to
joe4702

Looks a nice little board, but is there a price for it?

pete

--
pete@fenelon.com "how many clever men have called the sun a fool?"
Reply to

Olimex's price list is at:

which says US$ 115.95

(plus of course whatever it costs to import it. :-))

Simon.

Microsoft: Bringing you 1980's technology to a 21st century world
Reply to
Simon Clubley

It had me all the way up to "Atmel".

Reply to