Floppy image

Looking for a floppy image of a blank 1.44 floppy which includes all header and gap information.

Reply to
Ed

Linux ? They used it for somethin like bootable CDR maybe ? But i dont envy you , needing to hunt docs on Linux !! They boldly admitted , they would milk the Doc project til hell freezes over !!

It is a never ending project . But Why !!!!

I tried Linux , i could not learn to create images , i could not learn to program in C ,.........

Thats why i and the rest of the world went back to WXP ....

________________________________________________________________-

Ed wrote:

Reply to
werty

I do not remember where I had it (it was 20 years ago), but it might have been in the data sheets of the upd765 of NEC; or in the MC6843 of Motorola; or may be in some Motorola application note. Hopefully these are some leads for a successful search....

Dimiter

Didi

The data sheet for National Semiconductor's PC8477 controller chip has this information, in Fig. 4.1.

Reply to
David R Brooks

The problem with that data sheet is the unknown Gap3 and Gap4 information. What is their for a 1.44meg 3.5" floppy?

Reply to
Ed

See

table

3-12.

Gap 4 is not a written gap, it is the remainder of a track when all the sectors have been written and as such will depend on the speed of rotation of the drive.

--Rocky

PS did the CRC code help?

Reply to
Rocky

Like I mentioned in my former posting, I did this about 20 years ago, but incidentally I had the files with drive related definitions at hand, here they are for 3.5" HD and 5.25" HD drives with _256_ (not 512, I never made that) bytes per sector. I remember I had to experiment somewhat with the gaps, years later I found out that the way I had set them still worked fine on another drive which had 256 bytes per sector (a SCSI TEAC).

If you will implement also 256 bytes per sector - not that I can think of a reason why - these might be of some use.

IFEQ \0!.$F0-FD35GA - this is the 3.5" drive

  • DRIVE TYPE FD35F - 80 TRACKS,TWO SIDES,HIGH DENSITY
  • USED TRACK 0-29 WHICH PROVIDE THE 512K MDOS CAN HANDLE FCB $DF STEP RATE;HEAD UNLOAD TIME FCB +.DMA HEAD LOAD TIME AND DMA BIT FCB .CD - THE MFM BIT FCB * USED TRACK 0-29 WHICH PROVIDE THE 512K MDOS CAN HANDLE FCB $DF STEP RATE;HEAD UNLOAD TIME FCB $02+.DMA HEAD LOAD TIME AND DMA BIT FCB $40 .CD - THE MFM BIT FCB \0!.$3 .U - PHYSICAL DRIVE NUMBER FCB 1 .C - RE-RESTORE ALLOWED FCB 1 .H - TWO HEADS FCB $46 .R - LS PER SIDE FCB 1 .N - (LS PER PHYSICAL SECTOR)-1 FCB $23 .EOT - PSN OF EOT (ONE SIDE,NO #0) FCB $0E .GPL - GAP LENGTH FCB $FF .DTL - N>0 FCB 0 OFFSET TO PHYSICAL TRACK 0 FCB 1 STEP COUNT MULTIPLYER FCB 29 HIGHEST VALID TRACK NUMBER (I had these drives partitioned...) FCB 36 FORMAT MODE GAP LENGTH FCB FDCLK$ CLOCK/SPEED SEL.!. .U - PHYSICAL DRIVE NUMBER FCB 1 .C - RE-RESTORE ALLOWED FCB 1 .H - TWO HEADS FCB .R - LS PER SIDE FCB 1 .N - (LS PER PHYSICAL SECTOR)-1 FCB .EOT - PSN OF EOT (ONE SIDE,NO #0) FCB * USED TRACK 0-29 WHICH PROVIDE THE 512K MDOS CAN HANDLE FCB $DF STEP RATE;HEAD UNLOAD TIME FCB $02+.DMA HEAD LOAD TIME AND DMA BIT FCB $40 .CD - THE MFM BIT FCB \0!.$3 .U - PHYSICAL DRIVE NUMBER FCB 1 .C - RE-RESTORE ALLOWED FCB 1 .H - TWO HEADS FCB $46 .R - LS PER SIDE FCB 1 .N - (LS PER PHYSICAL SECTOR)-1 FCB $23 .EOT - PSN OF EOT (ONE SIDE,NO #0) FCB $0E .GPL - GAP LENGTH FCB $FF .DTL - N>0 FCB 0 OFFSET TO PHYSICAL TRACK 0 FCB 1 STEP COUNT MULTIPLYER FCB 29 HIGHEST VALID TRACK NUMBER (I had these drives partitioned...) FCB 36 FORMAT MODE GAP LENGTH FCB FDCLK$ CLOCK/SPEED SEL.E .GPL - GAP LENGTH FCB $FF .DTL - N>0 FCB 0 OFFSET TO PHYSICAL TRACK 0 FCB 1 STEP COUNT MULTIPLYER FCB 29 HIGHEST VALID TRACK NUMBER (I had these drives partitioned...) FCB 36 FORMAT MODE GAP LENGTH FCB FDCLK$ CLOCK/SPEED SEL.
  • ENDC .....
  • IFEQ * IFEQ \0!.$F0-FD55GB - this is the 5.25 , IIRC with the same values as the 3.5"!.$F0-FD55GB - this is the 5.25 , IIRC with the same values as the 3.5"
  • DRIVE TYPE FD55GB - SECOND 40 TRACKS,TWO SIDES,360 RPM FCB $DF STEP RATE;HEAD UNLOAD TIME FCB +.DMA HEAD LOAD TIME AND DMA BIT FCB .CD - THE MFM BIT FCB * DRIVE TYPE FD55GB - SECOND 40 TRACKS,TWO SIDES,360 RPM FCB $DF STEP RATE;HEAD UNLOAD TIME FCB $02+.DMA HEAD LOAD TIME AND DMA BIT FCB $40 .CD - THE MFM BIT FCB \0!.$3 .U - PHYSICAL DRIVE NUMBER FCB 1 .C - RE-RESTORE ALLOWED FCB 1 .H - TWO HEADS FCB $34 .R - LS PER SIDE FCB 1 .N - (LS PER PHYSICAL SECTOR)-1 FCB $1A .EOT - PSN OF EOT (ONE SIDE,NO #0) FCB $0E .GPL - GAP LENGTH FCB $FF .DTL - BYTES PER SECTOR FCB 40 OFFSET TO PHYSICAL TRACK 0 FCB 1 STEP COUNT MULTIPLYER FCB 79 HIGHEST VALID TRACK NUMBER FCB 54 FORMAT MODE GAP LENGTH FCB FDCLK$ CLOCK/SPEED SEL.!. .U - PHYSICAL DRIVE NUMBER FCB 1 .C - RE-RESTORE ALLOWED FCB 1 .H - TWO HEADS FCB .R - LS PER SIDE FCB 1 .N - (LS PER PHYSICAL SECTOR)-1 FCB A .EOT - PSN OF EOT (ONE SIDE,NO #0) FCB * DRIVE TYPE FD55GB - SECOND 40 TRACKS,TWO SIDES,360 RPM FCB $DF STEP RATE;HEAD UNLOAD TIME FCB $02+.DMA HEAD LOAD TIME AND DMA BIT FCB $40 .CD - THE MFM BIT FCB \0!.$3 .U - PHYSICAL DRIVE NUMBER FCB 1 .C - RE-RESTORE ALLOWED FCB 1 .H - TWO HEADS FCB $34 .R - LS PER SIDE FCB 1 .N - (LS PER PHYSICAL SECTOR)-1 FCB $1A .EOT - PSN OF EOT (ONE SIDE,NO #0) FCB $0E .GPL - GAP LENGTH FCB $FF .DTL - BYTES PER SECTOR FCB 40 OFFSET TO PHYSICAL TRACK 0 FCB 1 STEP COUNT MULTIPLYER FCB 79 HIGHEST VALID TRACK NUMBER FCB 54 FORMAT MODE GAP LENGTH FCB FDCLK$ CLOCK/SPEED SEL.E .GPL - GAP LENGTH FCB $FF .DTL - BYTES PER SECTOR FCB 40 OFFSET TO PHYSICAL TRACK 0 FCB 1 STEP COUNT MULTIPLYER FCB 79 HIGHEST VALID TRACK NUMBER FCB 54 FORMAT MODE GAP LENGTH FCB FDCLK$ CLOCK/SPEED SEL.
  • ENDC

Dimiter

Ed wrote:

Reply to