flash chip for atmel 40008

I was somewhat discouraged to find out that putting an external 1Mx16 flash chip on my AT91R40008 board was going to cost more than the 40008 (around $20 in singles from digikey). Then I found the Toshiba TC58FVB160AFT 70ns part from digikey for $3.24 singles/digikey and am happier. Same pinout/package as the atmel part.

I think this is a better solution than the AT91FR40162 part in a 121 ball BGA package for small/cheap prototyping runs as it allows you to use a lower cost board house and have some possibility of correcting design flaws.

Still, I am curious for the large price difference between say the atmel AT49BV161T-70TI at $20.36 and the Toshiba TC58FVB160AFT at $3.24. Am I missing something in the specs?

Reply to
Rick

DigiKey has the Atmel AT49BV162 for $4.52. I believe it is a closer match to the Toshiba part number.

Regards

-Bill Knight R O SoftWare

Reply to
Bill Knight

chip

missing

Hey, thanks Bill. I think that part was added quite recently, since it doesn't pull up under the parametric search table and there is not a link to atmel's data sheet like the other parts so I missed it. I see very little difference between the $20 BV161 and this $4.52 BV162. New design, cheaper vs old design and old price?

Thanks,

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I am *DEEPLY* suspicious of Digi-Key's parametric search capabilities, because they rely on data entered in different formats by different operators. To take a typical example, in searching for power supplies, you'll typically see, say, "Three-rail", "3rail", "trirail", "triple", "three" all as separate options in the number-of-rails field. Often those keywords are ambiguous, too. A parametric search on Digi-Key has only rarely led me to the "right" part. In some cases it has led directly to a part that's substitutable, but 5x more expensive than the "right" part, entirely due to labeling issues like the one above.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

For finding parts like these I many times use FindChips on the web.

It's free and has both Mouser & DigiKey in it's search group. And at least for Mouser & DigiKey, if it finds a part, there is usually a link to the web page.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Knight

Aye, I know about findchips. I used to work with the guy who started it (I think he still runs it, but not sure). He moved to CA and is working at Ames on the 2009 mars rover K9!

It originally had Arrow and Avnet, but some marketing guys at those companies didn't like their inventory searched and displayed on someone elses website, so they blocked the IP. Obviously he could have gotten around that, but he is an honest fellow and respected their decision (lame as it may be). It is funny, because most of the time, Avnet has the lowest prices anyway.

Rick

Reply to
Rick