GNU HC12 and HITEX JprobeHCS12

Hello there,

I am using the GNU HC12 and a JprobeHC12 from Hitex. They are using, applying a Symbol preprocessor (elf/dwarf), to obtain a SYM and HTX file.... when I am using an applicaiton in banking mode, I have a problem with my debug. I suspect that the Sym processor can't convert correctly the object code generated by the GNU compiler... (which seems to be OK with my an old version of HCS12 Hiware !) (If I don't use the banking mode this works out fine !!)

- Has anybody seen this problem ?

- Is there a workaround to this ??

Thx and rgrds

Marc

Reply to
Marc

there are diffrent possibilities on how the loader interprets the linker address in banked mode. Some start from 0 up (old datasheets) and some from 3f down with the bank number. However both is working becouse the chips mirror all the memory in unused physical space. Another thing is the bank address to be 20 or 22 bit. That depends from, if the common space is mirrored again and again on each bank in linear long addresses. The 20 bit attempt has easy wrap around with the address from bank to bank, while the 22 bit attempt covers the complete possible 4 MB space (what is only possible with external memory becouse internal common ranges occupy too much) If you use wrong address length, this will make a offset for each bank in size of the common ranges.

Try to understand, I am shure you can setup each linker to output the correct address what fits to your loader. Noral emulators have extra features. If unsure, try the Cosmic HC12 demo. They have plenty of auxiliary tools to convert s-record between diffrent addresses after linking, but the same can be done with proper link instructions.

Reply to
Janvi