experience with rabbit uC ???

Does someone has experience with rabbit uC ?

I am looking for an uC with many communication ports (serials/CAN and ethernet). The rabbit looks like a good choice. How does it compares to the ARM7TDMI?

Thx, Adib.

Reply to
Adib Taraben

Works for me. Very well indeed, actually. The Dynamic C environment is a bit, er, different; but does seem reliable.

No idea, I'm afraid.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

The biggest advantage of the Rabbits are that you get going very fast with their core modules at very competitive prices and their starter kits making it more or less a plug and play experience. It's an 8 bitter though, so don't expect very high performance.

The ARM is a different league being a 32 biter. It's therefore more complex to handle and from what I know core modules equipped with ARMs also tend to be more expensive in the end.

HTH

Markus

Reply to
Markus Zingg

Horses for courses! The rabbit's great for one offs, short runs, or high margin developments where cost of goods is not too important, but development time is critical, particularly when you use the Z-World development boards. Often just a matter of tying together their pre-built modules using the C-like language they provide.

Very expensive CPUs in a production environment when compared against (say) a Philips Arm with 512k of onboard Flash and 32k of onboard RAM, at about half the price. The core modules are, of course, even more. Also a 50MHz Rabbit is not in the same performance league as a 50MHz ARM.

Cheers, Alf

Reply to
Alf Katz

Fair comment, but the clincher for me was the inclusion of a TCP/IP stack. Not something I wanted to write from scratch. I did look at a variety of embedded TCP/IP stacks, but I didn't find anything that inspired confidence that didn't cost an arm and a leg. (If I missed something, pray tell.)

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

You're probably right Steve, The project for which I used the Rabbit on a Z-world board didn't need TCP/IP, but it was for a small run and completed ahead of schedule and under budget. I needed the graphic display and this was similarly easy to get up and running. I've written UDP/IP stack almost from scratch when space was limited, that was bad enough (took about 1.5 months). Both LWIP and UIP are worth looking at, but I'm guessing you did, and these are the ones you that didn't inspire confidence. They do come with source, though.

Cheers, Alf

Reply to
Alf Katz