email client: POP vs. POP3 differences

I'm trying to find a definitive source for the differences between POP and POP3 email clients. Googling has turned up a LOT of noise on the subject.

Essentially, can I assume for basic operation that they have no differences? I hope to implement a client like this:

you-have-ma/ without having to account for POP/POP3 differences. REALbasic (program source) doesn't indicate that a POP or POP3 service has to be treated any different. The client will operate LEDs based on mail available in the accounts.

Reply to
Uniden

RTFM -- you should be able to come up with the latest POP3 and POP RFC's in a few minutes with google... Then, see what aspects of the protocols you are relying on and how (if at all) they changed

Reply to
D Yuniskis

"Related Requests for Comments" gives the specific RFC's for POP, POP3 and various revisions. Those would be your definitive sources.

Uniden wrote:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

POP3 is the current version of POP (POP4 has been proposed, but there is no software that uses it).

Reply to
David Brown

Thanks, all! I'll just have to see if the POPing that my development tool does is OK for POP and if that OK stuff is in a "backwards compatible"-ish thingy for POP3.

(Probably more work figuring out exactly what REALbasic does.)

Reply to
Uniden

You can assume that there are no servers anywhere with a version of POP other than POP3.

Reply to
David Brown

Even better!

Reply to
Uniden

The POP (v1, v2, v3) protocol is described in the next documents: RFC 918 RFC 937 RFC 1081 RFC 1939 RFC 2449 RFC 1734

POP3 is de facto standard !

Raliman