Digital ID Tag Available?

I'm looking for a tag that contains a unique ID that I can read into my embedded system. I will end up using the unique identifier to cross-reference a table for complete identification. I would prefer a cheap tethered solution; not like an RFID.

Does something like this exist?

Reply to
eeboarder

Something like iButton?

I used these for this sort of thing successfully.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Jackson

Not really cheap, if all you need is an additional IC with a connection to a microcontroller. All 1-wire devices have a unique id:

The cheapest might be the DS2411, which has the unique id, only. If you can make some use of an external temperature sensor etc., one of the other devices might be useful.

Some microcontrollers nowadays have integrate unique ids, e.g. like the STM32 series.

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

The trivial solution is DS2401.

Many of the large flash memory ICs have the unique ID register. If you are using an external flash, that could be an option.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

I think the 1-wire option may be perfect for the application.

Thank you very much!

Reply to
eeboarder

You may use the Microchip serial 1-Wire EEProm with Pre-programmed Globally Unique, 48-bit Node Address. See documentation:

me=3Den538621

Konstantin Vovk

vks

Depending how secure you want the id a low cost processor like one of the 8 bit Microchip PICs or a RS08 might also be workable solution.

Regards,

-- Walter Banks Byte Craft Limited

eeboarder wrote:

Reply to
Walter Banks

Check the price on the 1-wire stuff. They are a bit high considering what you are getting. Like others have said, there are generic EEPROM parts that will do the same thing, are cheaper and give you some memory for customizations of your own.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

The DS2401 is around $1 which is well within the budget. I'm not going to do a multi-drop setup, so the electronics to get it up shouldn't be difficult. I'm still looking into it.

Reply to
eeboarder

Requires just one uC pin, and DalSemi 1-wire stuff is easy to bit-bang. I wrote my own code for a DS1820 (only my second try at writing PIC I/O; first try was the obligatory hello-world flashing LED), which worked right off. Later I found 1-wire code all over the web.

Reply to
Michael