rfid power supply

I attended a talk on rfid technology a few days ago. The speaker said they are trying to push the cost to

7 cents apiece, then Wal Mart will slap one on every item.

I asked, naively: Hold on, where are you going to get batteries for 7 cents? He answered that it's unnecessary, power is received from the rf signal of the reader.

ok, I never heard of that trick, that is really clever. Anyone have any poop on the specs and techniques used? How much energy gets stored, what does the power supply look like, efficiency, etc? It also relates to my recent question on antenna design.

-- Rich

Reply to
RichD

This is really old news. I first heard of it around 1999. The idea goes back to Tesla around the late 1800s. Nowdays all mainstream RFID chips use this method of powering so it's no longer a "trick" -- its common.

Google "Radio power transmission" (Isn't it the most obvious thing to inject into google in this case?, Lacking google-fu?). The first hit is a wikipedia article on the subject.

Reply to
slebetman

This is probably true by volume of RFID devices sold, but there are still plenty of self-powered units out there as well. The main drawbacks of field-powered RFID tags is a relatively short read distance (it's difficult to get more than a foot, although some people have managed better than a yard) and slow read rate. Both are really due to the same problem -- with very low power available, it's hard to transmit hard or fast.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

reply: Art Bell had a antenna located at his residence that covered about a mile,about 800 feet high using copper cable.He had measured about 20k watts on end fed system.A high value cap was used for storage.I do not know the amp's available.But was tuned to about 7 meter's.

Reply to
kala1965

Passive EPC Global RFID tags get up to 7metres with a 4watt 900MHz RFID reader used.

Paper RFID tags ~ 10 c to 15c in million pcs qty.

All doable!

Joe

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

Where did you get the idea that energy needs to be stored? An RFID or any transponder can perform the receive and retransmit simultaneously. Incoming on one frequency is used to power the RFID circuitry AND a portion goes into powering the transmitter to power the response. Or the RFID is used to modulate the amount of power the transmitter is putting out - similar to a grid dip meter.

Newsgroups
default

I doubt there's enough energy available to operate a charge pump to drive EEPROM cells, so nonvolatile storage is probably out as well.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

RichD wrote in news:1191985183.525647.21920@

19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com:

They basically send out a series of pulses at 125Khz or 13Mhz, and listen for responses between the pulses.

Reply to
Gary Tait

"Spehro Pefhany" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Elektor had an article about RFID last year. They concentrated on the Mifare Ultralight ICs which are meant to be used for entry tickets. This RFIDs have

512 bits of memory of which 384 bits are read/write. Some other figures:

- ISO/IEC 14443-3A

- read/write distance up to 10cm

- 106 kbps

- unique serial number and some more.

Other technics are available for logistics in food and pharmacy for instance. EasyLogic RFID Distribution and RSI-ID developed a new RFID-tag, AG-38, that can be read and written from distances up to 26m. Have a look at:

No surprise this new ones are way too expensive for Wal Mart but there are many others out there.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Joel Kolstad snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

And now it is time to start asking some of the hard questions: How can this be used/abused to invade privacy? Or do we have any left?

Reply to
JosephKK

Spehro Pefhany snipped-for-privacy@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat posted to sci.electronics.design:

But of course there is, but you have to get closer for longer with a higher power source.

Reply to
JosephKK