Dynamic RFID tag chip ???

Hi, For a specific project I am looking for a RFID active tag chip, but with both contactless and wired connectivity.

Basically I want to design a RFID tag, but with an on-board microcontroller which should be able to change the content of the RFID tag based on external events, through a I2C link or similar. Do you know products or chips that could implement this functionnality ?

Frequency range probably in the 13MHz or 860MHz bands.

Many thanks, Robert Lacoste

email : rlacoste and the same domain name...

Reply to
Robert Lacoste

with

microcontroller

external

that

Absolutely brilliant idea. But it misses the point of RFID tags. The RFID tags were developped for being selfpowered from the RF field, at least most of them. the clock is the RF or an integer fraction of it. And the RF response is the sidebands being created by on-off modulation, eg shorting single bits which in turn are integer divisions of the clock Having an additional cpu means an external powersupply. It also means shielding of your cpu from the RF.

Since the selfpowering requirement falls with your application, you can replace the the RFID statemachine with some own hardware. Just modulate the antenna impedance with the bitpattern synchroneous to the RF.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

I think philips do some 'smart card' style RFID stuff. Maybe they would do the trick. Personally I think for you application you would be better off with a micro and a transmitter module, like a car alarm remote.

microcontroller

external

Reply to
The real Andy

I do not know of a commercial product which meets your needs but we recently completed a project for a customer that is along the line of your search. The ASIC used in an automotive 'Toll Tag" went end-of-life and we did a redesign using a low-cost low-power micro. It uses a battery to power the circuit for about 10 years but as an RFID tag, does not have an active transmitter. It communicates by 'back-scattering' (modulating) the received RF carrier in the 902-928 MHz band. The tag ID and other parameters can be programmed into internal flash via the RF link and of course, the information can be interrogated by the proper readers. The design could be easily extended to monitor and log external events. We also had completed projects for both Part 90 (licensed) and Part 15 (unlicensed) RFID readers capably of communicating with the tag. If you wish to discuss this more off-line, please contact me via e-mail.

Regards

-Bill Knight R O SoftWare billk AT rosw DOT com

Reply to
Bill Knight

Tagsys have a variety of 13.56MHz tags, and sell a kit with some tag samples, along with a reader.

Regards
David Milne
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to