DeviceNet Gateway

Hi,

I am a student working on a final year project which is a DeviceNet/Ethernet gateway. I am using a Mitsubishi M-16C micro-controller. A previous student has interfaced a Ethernet NIC card to the micro which i am using. I am using the MCP2510 CAN controller for the interface to the DeviceNet Network. Currently i can talk to the CAN controller from the micro. Next step is to get the micro recognised on the DeviceNet network.

I was wondering if anybody has attempted this before and has any pointers for me. I am slowly working my way through the DeviceNet specifications. What are the minimal components of the DeviceNet specification i should be looking at implementing?

Any suggestions/pointers are much appreciated.

Seymour Washbourn

Reply to
Seymour Washbourn

Don't know too much about Devicenet, but make sure that you take a look at "80059d MCP2510 revAA errata.pdf", the MCP2510 does work Ok but there are a couple of quirks.

Reply to
Richard Lang

Off the top of my head... For starters you'll need to implement the Network Access State Machine (duplicate MAC ID check). The Connection, Message Router, Identity, and DeviceNet objects are required for any device. Supporting the explicit message protocol is probably required for the device you described.

Some things you could put off until later might include I/O messaging, predefined master/slave connection set, and fragmentation protocols.

There are DeviceNet stacks that can be purchased (see the Developer's tools category of the DeviceNet Product catalog at

You might also find some useful tips at the Dr. DeviceNet FAQ at the ODVA site.

-- Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Kramb