debugger for AT89LP214

I'm considering using the Atmel LP214 to act as a translator between legacy hardware and a new imager (camera) chip. It's 14pin, has enough Flash and RAM, and has the UART and counter to make life easy, but I'm a little unclear on how one debugs code on a part like this.

I'm not interested in going back to the compile-burn-run puzzle or dropping breadcrumbs (printf-style "begin Main()") - I like to step through, set breakpoints and examine memory. Atmel shows how to use a serial in circuit programmer connection, but it doesn't say JTAG so my question is: Is there a debugger available for the AT89LP214?

TIA, Bob

Reply to
Bob

From the data sheet at:

The AT89LP213/214 On-chip Debug (OCD) System uses a two-wire serial interface to control program flow; read, modify, and write the system state; and program the nonvolatile memory.

So, yes.

donald

Reply to
donald

"Bob" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

Why not use the ATtiny2313 instead?

2 kB code, SRAM, EEPROM and UART.

You can get a free IAR C compiler (limited to 4 kB) also free gcc compiler. AVR Studio is free. STK500 is one of the better dev boards around. JTAGICE Mk II is supporting the 2313 using debugwire and will also support a vast number of 8 and 32 bit AVRs. (There is a low cost AVR Dragon as well)

The AVR simulator inside free studio will help you along if you choose not to get the JTAGICE Mk II.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

Thanks, Ulf! I'm already using the JTAGICE Mk II/AVR Studio on the ATMegas, I just hadn't noticed the ATtiny parts - my bad.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

If you go to

you will see they have a Simulator, and also an emulator add-on for Keil systems.

A stand alone OCD from Atmel (that does not need Keil) is 'nearing release' it will use a RS232 port on the PC

-jg

Reply to
-jg