TCP-IP CRC calculation in PCs

Hi, just a silly Q we are discussing here. The CRC calculation for TCP-IP Protcols: Where is it calculated? In the CPU or the network-card?

Thanks Michael

--
Remove the sport from my address to obtain email
www.enertex.de - Innovative Systemlösungen der Energie- und Elektrotechnik

TCP/IP doesn't use CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check), but a much easier to calculate 1's complement checksum. It is often calculated by the CPU, although there are also network cards that can do it. On common architectures, the calculation takes < 1 cycle/byte.

The Ethernet level CRC-32 is (nearly) always done by the netword card.

Reply to
Arlet Ottens

Can be either, depending on the "checksum offload" setting of the driver. Some NICs may not support checksum offload, but these now seem to be in the minority.

Systeml=F6sungen der Energie- und Elektrotechnik

Reply to
richardvoigt